How can I fix a Linux boot error?
Question by Preston Clark /

I am trying to boot Linux and I keep getting this error:
\unbuntu\winboot\wubildr.mbr

What would I have to do to correct this problem? Thanks!

• Prashant Mirjankar

feel free to use EasyBCD

• Nevzat Akkaya

Are you sure the mentioned file is there, under “unbuntu” folder? There might be a small error (an extra “n” letter) in the path, I think it should be “ubuntuwinbootwubildr.mbr”.

• Nevzat Akkaya

my path divider characters seems gone? I’m trying to enter with two backslashes now, let’s see how it goes : ubuntu\winboot\wubildr.mbr

You appear to be giving us only the tail end of one line of what should be a 3 line error message. The first line should be ‘File: ubuntuwinbootwubildr.mbr’. The next line starts with ‘Status: 0x’ followed by 8 hex digits. Then the last line gives a text description of the problem. These lines would be most helpful in diagnosing the problem since they would indicate if the necessary files even exist on the machine or if the BCD configuration is toasted.

Assuming that the necessary files are still on your machine, you could try the steps at howtogeek to fix the problem. A link for the free EasyBCD software is at the end of the article. This tool makes it incredibly simple to alter the boot menu of Windows systems, including various options for dual-booting Linux instead of using Microsoft’s command line tools.