How can I copy or transfer a Windows 98 hard drive so my Windows XP computer can access it?

Joseph May 13, 2013

I have a desktop with Windows 98. I want to transfer contents of entire hard drive to another media, e.g. an external hard drive or a 64GB USB stick, so my Windows XP laptop can access them.

Is it possible to copy/transfer entire Windows 98 hard drive to another medium for my Windows XP computer to access?

1. null

Yes its possible and windows 98 uses fat 32, Windows Xp supports it obviously. Just make sure usb or external drive is formatted as fat32.

Hello, you have been giving pretty good options already. By far, the easiest way is to connect your drive to the computer running XP. If you are willing to run a dual boot configuration, you could also clone the 98 drive and install it in a separate partition of your XP computer.

3. Maksym Hoyda

Create a homegroup if this two machines are connected to the same IT connection.

4. Chris Marcoe

I think sharing through a homegroup would work.

Transfering hard drive contents is by far the quickest way that Bruce has explained, I have done this a few times and to remove the drive from one machine and connect it into another is only minutes in time.

6. yudics

To use a flash drive or ext-HDD on Windows 98 you need a driver for each. Most manufactures don't supply Win 98 drivers any more. You could use a cross over ethernet cable or a router acting as a switch to transfer data.

Easiest way to do this, in my opinion, is to get a USB to IDE adapter (around $10-20 on ebay) or a 3.5" enclosure. Remove the hard disc from the old PC, and use the adapter/enclosure to turn it into an external hard disc. Connect it to the newer PC and copy the data. With Windows 98, discs tend not to be too large, there are no permissions to worry about and finding your data should be very simple.

• Justin Pot

This is what I recommend, but I'd add that you're probably best off only copying the files. Programs installed to Windows on one computer probably won't run on another – you usually need to re-install for that to work. You probably already know this, but I thought I'd chime in just in case. :)

One option is to remove the hard drive from the Win98 machine and put it into the XP machine as a secondary drive. From there you can copy whatever you want to the XP machine and then return the Win98 drive to the original machine. That would probably end up being the fastest way to do it.

Or you could put both machines on the same network, share the Win98 directories you wish to copy and transfer all of the files over the network.

Connecting an external hard drive to the Win98 machine, copying all of the files to the external drive, then moving the external drive to the XP machine will allow you to do the transfer as well. The external drive may need to be reformatted with FAT32 in order to do this since I have not seen a driver for exFAT for any Windows OS prior to XP. The same thing applies to a flash drive.

How to Copy Files From Windows 98 to Windows XP
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2052293_copy-files-from-windows-98.html

perhaps to try via ubuntu live cd, boot from windows 98 and transfert files to external hard drive then plug the hard drive to windows xp.

or use hirensboot cd it has mini windows xp on it, boot on hirens bootce and launch windows mini xp then transfer the files to external hard drive?
    http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd