How can I copy a single Facebook post to MS Word or OpenOffice while preserving the web display formatting?

Joseph Videtto January 9, 2013

Is it possible to copy a single Facebook post to MS Word or OpenOffice, while preserving the web display formatting? Occasionally, I would like to save and share someone’s post on FB that may eventually disappear (hmmmm…does this open a copyright question too ? – just thought of that).

I’ve been forced to take screenshots, which works, but I was wondering why I am unable to copy the ‘web content) via selecting it with mouse, control-C, then control-V, and when I paste, have it appear as it does on the Facebook page. Can this be done, or is there some concept I don’t understand regarding why it cannot easily be done?

1. Saurav Azad
  2. Paul Pruitt

Heh, I just tried copying from Facebook and pasting it in Word. It works fairly decently although it picks up the formatting of the previous paragraph you have written in Word. For instance if I'm making a bulleted list, I'll end up with many bulleted points in front of the different elements of the Facebook post. Sometimes it seems to weirdly put in bulleted points in the pasted Facebook post whether or not the previous paragraph was obviously supposed to be a bullet list or not.

see if capturesaver (trial mode) can help
    http://www.capturesaver.com/

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

the old portable fscapture will do the job. Or Greenshot.

4. Yiz Borol

Screenshots are easiest to preserve the entire format.

if you want something searchable and close to how it appears on facebook, copy it to word then click the little glowing clipboard icon at the end of the line (that was copied) and select Keep Source Formatting. I'm not sure how to do that in OpenOffice.

The trouble is that pages on the web (in general and facebook in particular) often take advantage of javascript and css formatting that the .doc format doesn't support, and often can't even be copied by the clipboard.

The amount of information copied by the clipboard very much depends on the program it's being copied from and how much info it wants to provide, but it also depends on the destination program and what it can accept.
    In this case most browsers (that I know of) don't copy javascript formatting, nor do they copy a lot of css formatting, and then word and openoffice drop even more of that copy information when they accept the stuff from the clipboard.

tl;dr its a miracle that the clipboard works at all.

• Douglas Mutay

I totally agree with you Yiz.

5. Newell Fisk

If you want it in the same format, the easiest would be to just do the windows screen picture.