How can I convert a VirtualBox virtual drive to one that I can use on Parallels?

Kyle Taylor February 27, 2013

Please help!

I’ve been struggling with this forever now, and I still have yet to find a way to do it. Either one of two things need to happen.

1) Convert my existing VirtualBox vbox/vhd to be used on Parallels 7

2) Install Windows 7 + IE vhd from MS into Parallels 7 on Mac. (

I have tried converting my VirtualBox instance to an OVA, then from an OVA to VMX – didn’t work. I’ve also tried using Parallels built in converting tool through command line – also didn’t work.

It might be best if you have Parallels to try this, because speculation or reading on Stackoverflow probably won’t help me.

1. Justin Pot

I might be pointing out something obvious that you covered months ago, but what the heck: I'll say it anyway. Parellels supports importing VirtualBox machines by default; you need only to click the "Add Existing Virtual Machine" button after deciding to create a new machine. I haven't tried importing from VirtualBox myself, but I could if it will help you out. The import will begin when you browse to the VM and import it. If you're using a newer version of OS X, of course, the library folder will be hidden. These instructions will help if that's the case:

• Kyle Taylor

Yes, unfortunately I've tried this many times and it's failed. This was the screencast I sent to the support team.

I still want them to see if they can figure out the issue, but I actually did get something else to work. On Microsoft's new IE testing site, they have new virtual machines for testing sites on older versions of IE ( I downloaded the VMWare version of Windows 8, unarchived it, and let Parallels convert that and it works just fine.

But with VirtualBox, I have no idea.

• Justin Pot

Glad you found a workaround. So weird that it didn't work, but complicated things tend to screw up a lot. Glad I don't work for Parallels.

2. Nevzat Akkaya

Well, I haven't even know that Microsoft has provided such images! Pheww! They are 90 days limited though.

• Kyle Taylor

That is true, but if all you need to do is test in IE, then reverting the snapshot every 90 days works perfectly fine. Actually, Microsoft has provided more support for virtual environments, including Windows 8. Check it out at

Well, I *don't* have Parallels, but their knowledgebase article at addresses your specific question. If the steps described there do not work, I suggest you contact their tech. support!

• Kyle Taylor

I've tried and it failed. I even made a small screencast to show their support team (, and they're looking into it so I'll just have to wait and see.

• Oron Joffe

HAVE you contacted their tech. support? They're very good (I've used them before)!

• Kyle Taylor

Yep, I've been talking to them through Twitter and email. A support tech took my issue number and said they'd get back to me.