How can I convert a VirtualBox virtual drive to one that I can use on Parallels?
Question by Kyle Taylor /

Please help!

I’ve been struggling with this forever now, and I still have yet to find a way to do it. Either one of two things need to happen.

1) Convert my existing VirtualBox vbox/vhd to be used on Parallels 7

2) Install Windows 7 + IE vhd from MS into Parallels 7 on Mac. (

I have tried converting my VirtualBox instance to an OVA, then from an OVA to VMX – didn’t work. I’ve also tried using Parallels built in converting tool through command line – also didn’t work.

It might be best if you have Parallels to try this, because speculation or reading on Stackoverflow probably won’t help me.

• Justin Pot

I might be pointing out something obvious that you covered months ago, but what the heck: I’ll say it anyway. Parellels supports importing VirtualBox machines by default; you need only to click the “Add Existing Virtual Machine” button after deciding to create a new machine. I haven’t tried importing from VirtualBox myself, but I could if it will help you out. The import will begin when you browse to the VM and import it. If you’re using a newer version of OS X, of course, the library folder will be hidden. These instructions will help if that’s the case:

• Kyle Taylor

Yes, unfortunately I’ve tried this many times and it’s failed. This was the screencast I sent to the support team.

I still want them to see if they can figure out the issue, but I actually did get something else to work. On Microsoft’s new IE testing site, they have new virtual machines for testing sites on older versions of IE ( I downloaded the VMWare version of Windows 8, unarchived it, and let Parallels convert that and it works just fine.

But with VirtualBox, I have no idea.

• Justin Pot

Glad you found a workaround. So weird that it didn’t work, but complicated things tend to screw up a lot. Glad I don’t work for Parallels.

• Nevzat Akkaya

Well, I haven’t even know that Microsoft has provided such images! Pheww! They are 90 days limited though.

• Oron Joffe

Well, I *don’t* have Parallels, but their knowledgebase article at addresses your specific question. If the steps described there do not work, I suggest you contact their tech. support!

• Kyle Taylor

I’ve tried and it failed. I even made a small screencast to show their support team (, and they’re looking into it so I’ll just have to wait and see.

• Oron Joffe

HAVE you contacted their tech. support? They’re very good (I’ve used them before)!

• Kyle Taylor

Yep, I’ve been talking to them through Twitter and email. A support tech took my issue number and said they’d get back to me.