How can I convert a .jpeg picture into an icon?

Peggy K July 23, 2013

How to convert .jpeg picture into an icon. or .dll file extension?

1. Anna A
  2. John F

The way I do it is thus... Open the .jpg image in a good picture or graphic editor, I use Photo Impact X, (now owned by Corel) Then, adjust the size to 100 x 100 and or keeping the aspect ratio in check, then save as, to your file area, windows if you want just standard Icon file, mypicture.ico, thats it.

IrfanView will save in .ico format. .DLL is not an image format as such, but a software library that can include image as a resource, so it only makes sense to save in a DLL if you have a software library to go with it!

I have to vote for IcoFX, as this is how I convert images to icons in different pixel sizes. For best compatibility, you should use multiple pixel sizes in 16 bit (I think), otherwise the icons may be too small, too large, or look like 8 bit Nintendo or Minecraft images.

5. Justin Pot

What do you want to use this icon file for? A favicon for a website? Or an app icon? Because there's a difference. Either way, there's no automated way to do this – you're going to have to do some design work.

If the icon is for a Windows app, check out this tutorial:

It points to this program:

If it's going to be a favicon, you're going to need a crazy tiny icon. This tool kind of works:

Good luck!

.ico (image file format) and .dll (Dynamic Link Library) are not the same type of file extensions

you can check some online tools

Free Online Image Converter

Ico Converter

Pic To Icon Converter: Convert Image Into Various Icon Formats

You can open the .jpg file in IrfanView and save it as an .ico file

• Jan F

I believe the icon is supposed to be used for some application or file and by default Windows only accepts icons from either an ICO file or embedded into a DLL – i.e. most Windows icons are in the "shell32.dll"

yap it is the location shell32.dll, c:windowssystem32shell32.dll, instead that windows system icons be in different folders they are located at shell32.dll, but users can use their own ico and locate them elsewhere but they have to point to the path, otherwise no ico displayed

I'm quite sure there are free tools available for download ~ personally, I usually use some online service to do so since it's not something I have to do regularly

just to name a few...