How can I connect two routers wirelessly?
Question by Divit Dsouza /

I would like to connect two routers wirelessly. I believe it’s called wireless bridging. What I would like to achieve can be found here: (pic)

I am not sure whether this is totally possible. I already have a router built in with a modem (D-link DSL-2750U). I found the settings where I can set up this bridging I haven’t bought the other router yet as I’m not totally sure if its going to work. The person here ( ) doesn’t seem to get it working.

I can’t connect the two routers using an ethernet cable. And I don’t want to use a wireless repeater as I also need to connect devices that cannot connect through WiFi.
I would like to know what kind of router I need to buy and how to set them up so that I can achieve this. Any help would appreciated. Thanks.

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , , , ; or ask your own question.

• Silhoutte James

This where one router is used as a repeater to the main router. If you find that your router do not support this feature by default, you can try DD-WRt check here to see if your router is supported. This firmware is worth the risk since u can also increase your router’s antenna power to extend range n ensure a good connection. There is also alot of other fancy features available so strongly consider it.

wired connections can be made to the client unless the router in question is dual band which because you can create the client bridge on one band, but still allow other devices to connect to the client on the other band.

What is the Difference Between Client Bridge & Wireless Repeater Modes in DD-WRT? (DD-WRT FAQ)

Using an FVM318 Wireless Router as a Wireless Access Point

Setting up a repeater bridge with DD-WRT and D-Link DIR-600

• Jan Fritsch

A Wireless bridge only allows wireless connections on the primary router. The second one linked via wireless is running in a “client mode” and would only allow wired connections.

If that works for your setup you can find a guide here.
    The support for client mode wireless should be stated in the routers specifications and is not too uncommon.

The proper setup for the pic you posted is a “repeater bridge”. This mode is rarely supported by stock firmwares so your best bet is getting a router that supports DD-WRT.

Your primary router with the modem should be fine. Basically all it needs to do is offering a wireless network ~ which it does.

I suggest you just look at some inexpensive routers at a local store and check them with the DD-WRT router database.

• Jan Fritsch

Sorry, I forgot mentioning the option provided in that D-Link screenshot.

The Wireless Distribution System (WDS) has two possible modes, one is wireless bridge (as supported by your router) and the other one is wireless repeater (as required for the setup in your sketch)

A wireless bridge functions like any other wireless client (hence “client mode”). It connects to a network like a client and does not provide wireless access itself.

The repeater bridge does both, it connects to another network like a client but also repeats this network offering wireless access for other clients.

• Yiz Borol

Great answer!

If this is what you’re looking for, “like” his comments and mark as resolved!