How can I connect two Dell monitors to my Mac Mini?

Paul McGroarty May 31, 2013

I am currently running my Mac Mini’s DVI connect to an HDMI port on one dell monitor. It works fine, but I have two monitors, and I want to connect so both can be used at the same time. Nothing I’ve tried will recognize the second Dell monitor.¬†Does anyone know how i can do this please? Any suggestions will be tried.

1. Harshdeep Hura

There are two display ports on Mini (HDMI and MiniDisplay) Just connect both the monitors on it and then go to system preferences > Displays and calibrate. That's the way I use on my Mid-2010 Mini Server Edition running 10.8.3

I do not own a mac mini but I have seen this done many times in retail stores that want to show off the versatility of such a small desktop. The mac mini has two video outputs: a mini-display port and a mini-DVI port. The mini-display port is the same one you find on the current generation macbook, macbook pros (as well as the Mac Pro) and the Mini-DVI is the same as the on the old black/white macbook. I do not know why apple decided to go with two different adapter types but it works just the same as you will need two separate adapters to use two displays anyway. From there, you just buy two "dongles" (display adapters) which hook up to your respective screen input jacks (VGA or DVI) and you're set! There is no problem at all, you only need to use a simple adapter with each port - one adapter comes in fact with the Mac.

Hey just for interest, found this Apple connector. Probably may hlp you in future so providing the link just for reference : http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB571Z/A/mini-displayport-to-dual-link-dvi-adapter

• Paul

Hi all and thanks for your replies but the information I provided in my question has been changed and is wrong. I do not use a Mac mini. I use a 24" iMac, 2008 model. This is the last model to feature a mini dvi port instead of the newer mini display port. So my question is how can I connect two dell monitors that have lots of connectivity to a 24" iMac. Thanks again :)

3. Jan Fritsch

It mostly depends on the Mac Mini model and it's outputs.

If I remember correctly the DVI Mac Mini doesn't have any other display compatible output (HDMI, mini Display Port) so one option you could try is a USB graphics adapter.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=USB+graphics+adapter

Connect one monitor normally, and the other one to the DisplayPort socket with an adapter.

Follow the conversation here perhaps it can guide you
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3230766?start=0&tstart=0