How can I connect to the Internet using Ethernet instead of wireless?

Zolboo T July 23, 2013

Hello. I connect to the Internet wirelessly but my wireless router sucks. I have ethernet connection but I can’t connect to the Internet. I checked adapter settings and it shows that I only have wireless option. How do i connect to the Internet using a network cable?

1. Paul P

You can buy USB ethernet adaptors if using on a laptop or PCI ones if you are using a desktop. The latter would mean opening the case and using a spare PCI slot or the adapter. You can also use a USB ethernet adaptor on a desktop. Both kinds are very cheap, in the $10-20 range.

We use Ethernet because I hate worrying about wifi security. . . .

It sounds like there's fault somewhere in your ethernet "chain" (driver, ethernet adapter, cable or ethernet port on router). To troubleshoot:
    + Run Device Manager on your PC and look in the "Network Adapters" branch. There should be (at least) two items there, the wifi adapter and the Ethernet one.
    - If the Ethernet adapter is not listed, download a driver for it from the laptop manufacturer's site and install it,
    - If the adapter is listed, but has an exclamation mark on it, try reinstalling the driver as above.
    - If the adapter is listed, but there's an red X on it, right click on it and ENABLE it.
    - If the device is not shown at all, despite your efforts, it could be disabled in the BIOS. Restart the PC, enter the BIOS and have a look at the settings (sorry I can't be more specific, BIOSs differ greatly in detail). If that doesn't help either, it could be that your Ethernet adapter is faulty, in which case you could get an external one (USB). This is cheap and works well, but obviously uses up a USB socket and sticks out a bit.

+ If the adapter is shown and is active (that is, when you choose PROPERTIES it reports "This device is working properly"), then you need to proceed down the chain:
    - Get another, GOOD cable and try using that instead (make sure that the cable is TESTED elsewhere, since faulty cables exist and can make the diagnostic process difficult!). If this works, good! If not...
    - It could be the router. Test the router with another computer and cable (again, ones that have been TESTED to make sure they're working).

That's more or less it, except for one thing. All new Ethernet adapters (and routers, for that matter) auto-negotiate their speed (10, 100, 1000 mbps), but sometimes, one side or the other won't do its job properly. if the computer reports that the ethernet adapter is working correctly, but it cannot "see" the router, this could be an auto-negotiation problem. Try setting it manually to 100mbps (first duplex, then, if that doesn't work, simplex). Hopefully this will sort the problem.

it can be your ethernet port is faulty?

go to device manager and check if your ethernet driver is there, right click on the driver go to properties check any message with code number it can give an indication.

4. Ferdinan S

First is to make sure that your ethernet port is detectable and the driver is installed properly. If not, then you need to re-install or upgrade the driver. Second is to buy or create CAT5 or CAT6 cable, plug it into both of your computer device and the router. if you still cannot connect to the internet, then re-check the adapter setting from connections setting.

5. Aaron A

what he said will work, walmart has them cheap but online will be the best!

Does your computer (laptop/desktop) have an Ethernet connection on it? If so, just plug in an Cat5 or Cat6 cable into that jack on your computer and the other end into the router. It should be detected automatically and properly configured by Windows once the physical connection is made. It normally takes about 10 seconds for it to configure the adapter and test the connection. Most computers today have Gigabit Ethernet ports on the motherboard, so you shouldn't need to buy a separate adapter.

• Zolboo T

yes my laptop has ethernet connection but when i connect it, it doesn't detect anything and we don't use any routers our connection will automatically connect if i plug the cable, but i doesn't connect (and in my adapter settings only the wireless lan shows up)