How can I connect my Sony Vaio laptop to a Panasonic TV?
Question by Ammar /

I’ve tried to connect my laptop Sony Vaio with ATI Radeon video card to Panasonic TV through HDMI via the TV’s RCA hookup, but it didn’t work :( Am I missing something?

Thank you,
A.Basil

• Dalsan

If I understand you correctly, you are using an HDMI connection from the laptop to the RCA plugs on the tv? HDMI cannot be pushed through an RCA connection as that is pushing digital signal to an analog receiver. You would have to spend over $100 for the proper converter to get the HDMI digital signal converted to RCA analog signal. You can use HDMI to DVI cable for monitors, but no cable will allow HDMI to RCA. If there is a s-video connection on the laptop, then you could connect video that way to the tv if it has s-video input on the tv, otherwise a s-video to RCA cable can be used, then a 3.5 mm to RCA cable or adapter plug for audio to the tv.

Hello, what kind of connections does your laptop have? What kind of connections does your TV have? If you TV and laptop have HDMI connectors, it is just a matter of connecting the cable to laptop and TV. Once that is done, make sure to select HDMI input in your TV and you should be able to see it content playing in laptop in your TV. You would have several options, and you can either show the same screen in both devices, extend the screen, or just show it on TV. You can do this either through windows or through the Control Center software provided for ATI cards.

Besides cabling, there are 2 other items that need to be addressed. The TV input must be the HDMI channel corresponding to the input used to connect the laptop. You also need to adjust your video settings on the laptop to have it send the HDMI signal down the cable. This is normally accomplished in the ATI Control Center which probably has an icon in the notification area. (I don’t currently use ATI cards, so I can’t step through it here.)