How can I connect a Netgear 1100 to WNR2200 without security key?

Albert May 19, 2012

I press the button on USB adapter, but run out of download time. Manual installation I get as far as “connect to a network”. Am asked for security key. Tried all passwords and keys such as, royalviolet445, NETGEAR51, user, and password.

Where do I find security key. Connecting this product is very frustrating. Wished I chosen some other product. Hoping you can solve my problem.

Is wireless access configured on the router? If so, it will have an SSID and an associated key that you need to enter to connect to the router. This key is NOT the same as the password on the router. The key will be a string of hexadecimal characters (0-9, a-f). You should be able to use another device connected wirelessly to the router or a wired computer and get into the router settings by opening a web browser and using the address http://www.routerlogin.net/. From here you will need to log into the router and go to Wireless Settings. Your SSID should have been changed from the default (NETGEAR### - don't let hackers have the advantage). The security options should be WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] for the best security and flexability. You also need to set a passphrase. It can be anything from 8 to 63 characters in length or exactly 64 characters using only numbers and the letters a thru f. This is the key that needs to be provided to client devices who wish to connect to your wireless network. If these elements are already selected, you may be able to see what the passphrase is and simply use that to connect your computer (some will have this masked and only show black dots or asterisks in place of the characters). If any of these setting are changed during this process, you will need to reconfigure any devices that were connecting with the old settings.

• Albert Dale

All working OK.Thanks for info.