How can I change the fan settings in my laptop?

Bhargav Godhani December 19, 2012

I want to change the fan settings because recently my laptop has been creating more heat.

Dell Inspiron 1564
3GB DDR3 RAM
Intel Core i5 processor

1. Abhishek Ambre

I use a software known as AIDA64. There are many other than this but this one is the best to monitor and change fan settings.

2. Salman Johnson

MOST laptops don't give you an option to change the fan speed. As they're laptops and overheat easily and fast, they're set to automatic. Very few laptops, mostly in the high end range, will give you an option to set it from automatic to high.

3. Douglas Mutay

If your computer has started to create more heat you should not only try to change your fan setting but also look for the reason why this has occurred. The heat will always change depending on age, environment and power usage of your laptop. So before you go on following all the wise advises you will receive here do the simplest thing and check if fan is blocked by dust and try to clean the air vents by blasting them with compressed air.
    Then if it’s still the same, you can also check your laptop manufacturer's Web site for a BIOS update because BIOS updates sometime implement revised temperature settings, which can help you optimize cooling. These settings from the BIOS will tell your computer how hot is too hot and at what temperature the fans should kick in.
    And also remember to NEVER use your laptop on your lap or any soft surface (like a bed, couch, pillow, etc. ) that will impede airflow into and out of the cooling because this will cause the heat to get caught underneath the unit.
    God luck!

4. Kannon Yamada

Hello Bhargav, I hear more about this particular series overheating than almost all other individual models. Unfortunately, other than the generic advice that people give for heating issues (such as cleaning out your laptop's fan) there's only two other options that I can think of:

(1) If you only wanted to access the fan settings, try going to your BIOS, by tapping the F2 key while booting. Once inside of the BIOS be sure to not adjust anything other than fan speed.

(2) Here's a YouTube clip on how you might download software that can control your fan. It's designed specifically for Dell laptops, so it will probably work, although I don't know for certain. I know very little about this software other than that it's reported to work.

eHow did an article on it as well, which you can read here.

Good luck!