How can I change the default in GRUB boot loader?

Michael Heffner March 30, 2013

How can I change the default choice in the GRUB Boot loader? I installed Ubuntu alongside Windows 7 on both mine and my wife’s laptop. She would prefer to have the default choice be Windows 7 when it’s booting and she’s not sitting there to make the choice.

1. Gaurav Joshi

use grub-customizer

2. nigel hewitson

You're always better off looking to the Ubuntu support forums for answers to questions like this. I'm a total Linux novice but manage to navigate around any issues which crop up either through Ubuntu user forums or, of course, makeuseof.com are always available.

3. Uchitha Jayathissa

Tryout EASYBCD

4. Michael Heffner

After logging out, clearing the cache, logging back in, it finally appeared. what a PITA.

5. Michael Heffner

I have my answer, but there is nowhere on this page to allow me to choose the answer and mark it solved. I have logged in using both Internet Explorer and Chrome and it is not there. In fact in IE the thumbs up and down icons are missing and replaced with empty boxes, and in Chrome on the main page I cannot see the links to my profile, etc and the get this reward now has a scroll bar next to it so I can scroll down to read it. On the question page though, it's fine.

ttps://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowto/

7. DalSan M

There is a graphical interface that you can use to change the boot order (actually it changes the default selected boot option). I have used similar to change this. You would need to use Linux for this. More information can be found here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/100232/how-do-i-change-the-grub-boot-order

Use a text editor as and edit the file /boot/grub/grub.conf to change the defaults.

Look for the lines:
    default=0
    timeout=10
    or something similar.

Change the 'default' to 1 and save the file.
    Reboot and Windows 7 should be the default startup.