How can I change my Gmail address?
Question by Neil Jones /

I’ve been having trouble changing the Gmail address on my Google account and a lot of other people (from what I’ve been reading) has as well but its almost impossible to contact google. I’m getting older and building contacts with people and its really hard to give out my email address.

I cant just create a new address, this is linked to my phone,tablet,calendar, all my Google play purchases, contacts, and my entire Google ecosystem.

Do you know of an easier way to change it?

Thank you for your time and I love your website

• Kev Q

If I read your question correctly, it basically boils down to the fact that you would like a more professional looking email address. Would that be a fair assumption?

If so, I would highly recommend buying your own domain name. The advantages of this are really awesome and most hosts offer a free forwarding service. So you could add your new custom domain email to your Gmail account using the “accounts you own” window within Gmail settings. Once you’ve added your new email address you can set gmail to send mail through it’s server so you won’t need to pay for hosting.

Your name (Neil Jones) is obviously quite a common name, but I’ve just checked and “” is available. So you could buy that for around £10 ($12-15) a year and have you email address as for example. This is a much more professional email address than any gmail address.

In future you then have your own domain name, and trust me when I say this, owning a personal domain name and having a website will be extremely common in the next 5 years or so.

• Darren S

I also need a new EMAIL ADDRESS, the one I have is no good to pass on to future employers(I have out grown my gaming address). You guys make this sound easy.
    How am I ever going to transfer the millions of photos from my old Google+ to my new account.
    Surely I can setup a second GMAIL address somehow.. It can be done on Yahoo mail, why not google too?

• Phyllis Ward

I have forgotten my pass word and wondering how I can find out how to obtain it.???

• Freud Iomc

The simplest thing would be to create a new account, and forward all of that email to the old account. Then you can Reply To in whatever account you needed to.

• Oron Joffe

As others have said, you cannot change the address on your existing account since it serves as the primary identifier. Your options are to:
    1. create a new address and transfer all related information to the new account (links provided by others)
    2. create a second gmail account and associate it with your existing account so that you can send messages from that address withing your existing account (see You can either set up your account to fetch messages from that account ( or set up forwarding on the new account to forward the messages to the old accoutn…

The second method my appear a more palatable in that it allows you to keep your old ID (and hence, phone settings, calendar etc) untouched, I think, since your change is address is for the long term, the first option is the better one as you will end up with one straightforward, active account. Still, at least you have the choice!

• Phill Duplessis

You can’t change it.

• Leland Whitlock

While you can’t directly change the address you have options. You can use forwarding to get new mail from your old account into the new account; in Settings > Forwarding & POP/IMAP you can setup forwarding from the old account which will then almost make it so the new account gets all your emails. Next you can use MailStore Home as seen at to backup email in IMAP to repopulate the account with all your old email if you want. Make sure to go to Settings > Forwarding & POP/IMAP and make sure IMAP is enabled to do this. To backup and restore your contacts go at Good luck.

• Chinmay Sarupria

Gmail Address can NOT be changed. You have to create a new one. After you have created new address you can then transfer your messages and contacts to the new address.

Go to this Google page:

Scroll to the bottom. There you will see about “How to transfer my messages?” and “How do i transfer my contacts?”

• dragonmouth

Please clarify exactly what is it you want to do.

In one sentence you say you DO want to change your address. In another sentence you say CANNOT create a new GMail address because the old one is linked to many other apps. If you make any changes to your old GMail address, you will in effect be creating a new address.