How can I bypass the Windows 8 login screen?

Sebastian S September 7, 2013

Hello.

My mother just got a new laptop with windows 8. For the most part, I have warmed to it and enjoy it. Security is not an issue as the laptop is always in one of two rooms and never taken out the house. Also, my mum is absolutely useless with tech but has to use it. She easily gets confused with passwords and such.

I would like to bypass the login screen, so that when it comes out of sleep or is turned on the metro desktop appears instantly without having to type in a password.

I have already researched this up and found the supposed remedy. I have unticked the box that says “Users must enter a username and password to use this computer” in the User Accounts settings, by typing netplwiz on the metro desktop and also by typing useraccount2 or something like that in command prompt just in case accessing it different ways would some how give a different result but it didn’t. Both times when I tried and restarted the computer (or turned it off and wait a few seconds for the same effect) it comes up with the login screen requiring the password. I have also tried switching it from using a Microsoft account to a local one but that did not work either.

If anybody has any tips I would greatly appreciate it,
Thankyou

1. benying

I have ever forgot my windows 8 login password and locked out of computer. My roommate helped me bypass the locked login screen by following this video guide step by step: http://youtu.be/-ZZoQIg052s

How to Change or Remove Password of a Local Account in Windows 8 and 8.1
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/13315-local-account-password-change-remove-windows-8-a.html

3. Alan W

PS If you didnt get the second window asking for the logon details then highlight the user name in the User Accounts window and it should show the window for logon details.
    Sorry I forgot that bit earlier.

4. Alan W

In the User Accounts window (netplwiz) when unchecked the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" Did you then get a small window open asking you for the user name and password?
    You need this as that would be the account that automatically logs on.