How can I burn multiple movie files to a single DVD?

Cean Lumbaca May 29, 2012

I want to burn my movies to blank DVDs because I want to free up space in my hard drive. How can I burn, let’s say 5 movies to a single DVD? (ex: 700 mb movies)

And, what are your suggested freeware programs to do the burning process?

1. jay-ar

hi guyz... i have 31 episode in my pc i would like to burn it in 1 dvd but sad to say i cant burn it because of the size limit

• d_rich

what free software can i use to burn like six movie on a single dvdR cd and watch it on a regular dvd player

2. Cean Lumbaca

Thanks guys for helping me! I am now going to download DVD Flick as my primary burning software. Although it's kinda slow when encoding and stuff, it's the best. I once used it to burn Thor the movie, and it's great.

Thank you once again! :)

I agree with ha14! DVDFlick is probably the best
    DVD authoring tool out there. I've used many different types, but in
    terms of ease of use, nothing beats it.

It uses a drop-dead simple interface. Simply open the program and then
    drag and drop the files you want to burn to DVD. Pay attention to the
    bar on your left - it will show you how much room is available on the
    disc. Once it's filled up, the gauge will turn red.

Here's a screen capture of
    when you first open it.

4. Cean Lumbaca

Hello guys, thank you so much for your answers.

Now, here is my follow up question: Assuming that I have now my burner software, and ready to input movies in the dvd, what is/are the file format normally read by standard dvd players?

I once burned the movie Tangled on DVD (it's an AVI file) but my DVD player doesn't recognize it.

Is .MPG the standard file format playable for DVD players?

try converting .avi to .mpg

this is simple software but it is shareware and i believe lifetime update if i am not wrong. Just select the file and the software charges the rest.

• Cean Lumbaca

So, I should convert to .MPG so that it can be played to DVD player?

I shall do that and will update if it works. Thank you. :)

• Cean Lumbaca

Hi, I have Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate installed. I scanned the output formats. There are two .MPG format.

MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 video.

Which one?

MPEG2 is like MPEG1 and supports higher resolutions and improves the compression factor for dvd

MPEG2 is also for broadcasting, MPEG-2 is targeted at general higher quality video applications at bit-rate greater than 2 Mbit/s.

• Cean Lumbaca

Thank you for your help. I will convert a movie later to check if it works. :)

• Cean Lumbaca

Hi. I tried to convert my movies to .MPG and burned it to a blank dvd. But the player wasn't able to play it. :(

• Kannon Y

I've never used ha14's software suggestions, although they appear to be outstanding in terms of their user interface. That said, my favorite tool for converting AVI (or any video format) is SUPER:

Despite not costing anything, SUPER performs the same job as paid software, meaning it converts from any video format to any video format. Because of its complexity, there's a little bit of a learning curve, but overall the interface is simplistic and intuitive. It's extraordinary software for video conversion purposes - but be sure not to install the toolbar and search engine (it's adware).

Hello, if you want to burn the movie files you have to a blank DVD, the only thing you have to do is to use the option "Burn DVD data" in your burner of choice and select the files. When you do this, you can burn several types of formats in a blank DVD. If your DVD player is compatible with reading the format in which the movies are encoded, then you should have no problem in playing the movie files.

Keep in mind that a blank DVD has a storage capacity of 4.37 Gb. So if your files are 700 Mb, you could probably burn up to 6 movie files.

If you wanted to convert the files to DVD, you could still include more than one movie in it. Only problem with this is that you would have to reduce size of file but then quality would suffer.

6. Cean Lumbaca

How about InfraRecorder? Can it burn .avi files and can be played back to DVD players? Thanks

Hello, if you want to burn several movie files into a DVD without converting them to DVD, you can use the burn as DVD data option. Pretty much any burning software has this option whether it is paid or not. This would accomodate more than 5x 700 Mb files. If the files are around 700 Mb you could probably burn around 7 files. A blank DVD has 4.27 Mb of space.

Now, if your intention is to burn files to DVD, you can still do it but I would not recommend it because you would have to reduce the size of file and then quality would suffer.

You have already been given several options for free burning software. Visit the following link and navigate to the CD/DVD tools:

You can also use software like the following:

Format Factory:

• Cean Lumbaca

Thanks for the suggestion! Right now I am burning a single movie first in a blank DVD to check if it works. I'll update this post as soon as it plays.

Assuming your movies are already ripped to avi or something and that they are already around the 700MB mark then try something like CDBurnerXP from here: and burn them as files.
    It works with Vista and 7 as well as XP.

• Cean Lumbaca

thanks for the suggestion!

In general you can simply burn the files to a DVD using your preferred DVD burning software or the Windows built-in burning function just like any other data.

If you want to watch those DVDs let's say on your DVD player it's a matter of support. If the file type and codec (e.g. H264 mp4 file) is supported by your player you can watch them using the above method.

If your player doesn't support them, you are not sure or want you want the DVDs to be "universal" you will want to use a tool like Susendeep suggested to convert and burn them as a regular MPEG-2 DVD.

11. Susendeep Dutta

Freemake video converter program has the facility to burn those movies into DVDs and it's simple to use -

The above software being free doesn't have any limits imposed on user.

12. Sachin Kanchan

i am not using any DVD burning software right now...

one big reason is that it is very slow, time consuming.... if you have option to get an external hard drive, just go for it.....however it was just a suggestion...

many people still love to keep data especially music and movies on dvds , often easy to share or give away to friends....also kinda classic or vintage feel it gives you..

but if you use nero or else, you must have an option to check :
    [CREATE MULTISESSION DISC] if you select of check this box, you will be able to write files on that disc layer on too..

but if you want more movies to be on one disc, you can use dual layer dvds...but as far as i know, you need to have at least 512 MB of ram to write dual layers