How can I burn multiple movie files to a single DVD?
Question by Cean Lumbaca /

I want to burn my movies to blank DVDs because I want to free up space in my hard drive. How can I burn, let’s say 5 movies to a single DVD? (ex: 700 mb movies)

And, what are your suggested freeware programs to do the burning process?

• jay-ar

hi guyz… i have 31 episode in my pc i would like to burn it in 1 dvd but sad to say i cant burn it because of the size limit

• d_rich

what free software can i use to burn like six movie on a single dvdR cd and watch it on a regular dvd player

• Cean Lumbaca

Thanks guys for helping me! I am now going to download DVD Flick as my primary burning software. Although it’s kinda slow when encoding and stuff, it’s the best. I once used it to burn Thor the movie, and it’s great.

Thank you once again! :)

• Kannon Y

I agree with ha14! DVDFlick is probably the best
    DVD authoring tool out there. I’ve used many different types, but in
    terms of ease of use, nothing beats it.

It uses a drop-dead simple interface. Simply open the program and then
    drag and drop the files you want to burn to DVD. Pay attention to the
    bar on your left – it will show you how much room is available on the
    disc. Once it’s filled up, the gauge will turn red.

Here’s a screen capture of
    when you first open it.

• Cean Lumbaca

Hello guys, thank you so much for your answers.

Now, here is my follow up question: Assuming that I have now my burner software, and ready to input movies in the dvd, what is/are the file format normally read by standard dvd players?

I once burned the movie Tangled on DVD (it’s an AVI file) but my DVD player doesn’t recognize it.

Is .MPG the standard file format playable for DVD players?

Hello, if you want to burn the movie files you have to a blank DVD, the only thing you have to do is to use the option “Burn DVD data” in your burner of choice and select the files. When you do this, you can burn several types of formats in a blank DVD. If your DVD player is compatible with reading the format in which the movies are encoded, then you should have no problem in playing the movie files.

Keep in mind that a blank DVD has a storage capacity of 4.37 Gb. So if your files are 700 Mb, you could probably burn up to 6 movie files.

If you wanted to convert the files to DVD, you could still include more than one movie in it. Only problem with this is that you would have to reduce size of file but then quality would suffer.

• Cean Lumbaca

How about InfraRecorder? Can it burn .avi files and can be played back to DVD players? Thanks

Hello, if you want to burn several movie files into a DVD without converting them to DVD, you can use the burn as DVD data option. Pretty much any burning software has this option whether it is paid or not. This would accomodate more than 5x 700 Mb files. If the files are around 700 Mb you could probably burn around 7 files. A blank DVD has 4.27 Mb of space.

Now, if your intention is to burn files to DVD, you can still do it but I would not recommend it because you would have to reduce the size of file and then quality would suffer.

You have already been given several options for free burning software. Visit the following link and navigate to the CD/DVD tools:

You can also use software like the following:

Format Factory:

• Cean Lumbaca

Thanks for the suggestion! Right now I am burning a single movie first in a blank DVD to check if it works. I’ll update this post as soon as it plays.

• Alan Wade

Assuming your movies are already ripped to avi or something and that they are already around the 700MB mark then try something like CDBurnerXP from here: and burn them as files.
    It works with Vista and 7 as well as XP.

In general you can simply burn the files to a DVD using your preferred DVD burning software or the Windows built-in burning function just like any other data.

If you want to watch those DVDs let’s say on your DVD player it’s a matter of support. If the file type and codec (e.g. H264 mp4 file) is supported by your player you can watch them using the above method.

If your player doesn’t support them, you are not sure or want you want the DVDs to be “universal” you will want to use a tool like Susendeep suggested to convert and burn them as a regular MPEG-2 DVD.