How can I break the download speed limit on our college network?

Ankur Kansagara December 4, 2012

I am using a WiFi connection of 9mbps. Our college administrator has limited speed to 250kbps. Now how can I break the download speed limit?

1. Douglas Mutay

Forget about it. you might get into trouble if the system admin discover that a device is using more bandwidth than established and they find you. This limitation is now like a rule in your college and you know the price to pay for breaking a rule...

• Douglas Mutay

You're most welcome. :-)

Breaking the download speed of your college network could lead to you getting expelled. Is it really worth it?

I totally agree with Mr. Campbell

4. Adam Campbell

If such a policy has been implemented, then more than likely there is also a law against cracking it. The only way to deal with it is to crack the router and change the settings. But if I were you, I wouldn't, just find a local McDonalds which (hopefully) will have better down speed.

5. Shahbaz Amin

Do you there might be a reason why adminstrator would put limit on one's speed?
    I would have said yes!

you have to talk to college administrator for more and explain why.

• Rahul Prajapati

it's really funny........

7. Paul Pruitt

Get and SSD for your computer. The computer will display quicker even though the download speed will be the same. Also download and use Chrome, the fasterst browser. Plus try Fastest Chrome (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/fastestchrome-browse-fast/mmffncokckfccddfenhkhnllmlobdahm), a version which downloads links on a page while you are currently reading the one you are on so that it appears faster. When you click on the link the page will already have been downloaded...

8. Serge Garcia

Id suggest using a proxy, they redirect the signal over other servers, just make sure its not a slow one. I suggest you use the lists on http://www.hidemyass.com/proxy-list/ , and find a good chrome plugin to use proxies. Good luck

• Usman Mubashir

I too live in a hostel with restricted net. but we have UNrestricted it :)
      what i understand is that the router is set on bandwidth restriction. use a brute force software to enter into the router settings using your browser.

but this is going to be very frustrating, if I were you, I'd locate the router and reset the settings using the button, and remove bandwidth restriction.

However I'm surprised that none of your university mates have tried to break it already, or maybe you can try asking some seniors about it, there are geeks everywhere to solve all kinds of problem, thats how we hacked into our university's server.