How can I boost my laptop’s processor speed as advertised?

kishan gohel December 17, 2012

I am using a Sony laptop which supports boosting the processor speed from 2.40 GHz to 3.0 GHz. How can I do that? Will it help improve performance?

1. Adriel Tan

I assume you are using a intel i5 or i7 processor.... In that case, don't worry! It boosts automatically for you when needed! If you are talking about overclocking, it is not recommended as it may render a system unstable if not done properly.

2. Ahmed Musani

it depends on the number of tasks you require than the i series turns on turbo boost

3. luis donis

if using turbo processor if you want to have faster

4. Rohit Jhawer

These processors have built in hyper threading, they kick in when you are using heavy application such as games or Software which need processing power. Overclocking manually is not advisable unless you know what you are doing. I would not suggest that at all as you are using a laptop. If you just want to check the clock speed you can use this app. Hwinfo http://www.hwinfo.com/

5. josemon maliakal

I think you must install correct driver software and keep system updated

A Beginner’s Guide to Overclocking Your Intel Processor
    http://lifehacker.com/5580998/a-beginners-guide-to-overclocking-your-intel-processor

7. Ahamed Yaseen

Use Turbo cpu....

8. Alex Slutsky

You can overclock from your BIOS, but it's not recommended as it can shorten the life of your cpu..

9. Ashwin Ramesh

You can overclock your processor, but that's not advisable at times. As Jim said, i5 and i7 processors have a built-in Turbo Boost Technology.

10. Migas Marques

It depends, first if your processor allows it and then if your computer let's you do that...
    I recommend not downloading any type of "Boosting" apps since they usually are virus, instead defragment your disk and remove some apps from startup (choosing wisely some control the volume or bluetooth keyboard keys in some PC's). That may not increase your CPU speed (GHz) but it will make the PC faster.

PS: If your computer is 2+ years old I would recommend to have it open and dust cleaned.

Intel i5 and i7 CPUs have Turbo Boost Technology built in that increases the processor frequency when needed if power and chip temperature allows.