How can I best record cable TV and later extract snippets to share with my friends on my iPad?

Joseph Videtto December 22, 2012

During watching my cable TV, I often would like to ‘record’ snippets to later share with my friends via my iPad. What’s the best way to do this?

I have a QUI2500-3 set top box, and I would like a separate system/hard disc (at lowest cost possible) that I can keep always on and recording in real time, and pull the video snippets out of interest. Since I never know which video snippet I would like to share, the video recording must be always on during my real-time viewing. Since I want to share it from iPad, it must be recorded in a compatible format, and the hard disc recorder in my STB won’t allow me to offload any video.

1. Muo TechGuy

No you can't. They're encrypted, otherwise anyone could just copy cable shows and upload them. You're basically asking how to pirate cable.

• Joseph Videtto

"You’re basically asking how to pirate cable."

That's a bit presumptuous on your part. After all, I paid for the shows, and I don't plan to upload them. In fact, instead of bringing friends to my house to share a couple of short clips, I'd like to bring the clips to them. HBO already offers internet access to a number of their shows. I would like the same internet access to the shows I've already paid for (and had the option to record). Please don't assume.

screen recording caamstudio
    http://camstudio.org/

The set top box you are using is provided by your local cable operator might be locked to one operator.Usually,all DVRs(digital video recorder) HDD are strongly encrypted.So,even if you were able to remove the HDD from DVR,you won't be able to copy any content from it.This is done to prevent any sort of sharing or piracy.

you might be able to record tv through windows media center then just edit the recordings with a video editing software.