How can I back up my laptop data auomatically?

Sam Rosario April 14, 2013

I want a software or online service where I can back up my data automatically and also schedule a daily task to upload my data on Cloud or online. It should be fast.

1. Scott Kupferman

I'm becoming more of a fan of private cloud. This way, you don't have to worry about data migration should your cloud provider go belly up. Take a look at getting a hosting account with Dreamhost. You get a ton of free space. Then, install a OwnCloud. The installation could not be easier. Simply ftp the install .php file to your hosting space and then access it via your web browser (that is, go to the URL of the file you just uploaded). It wil walk you through the setup. They also make desktop clients for iOS, Windows and OS X. You will be able to sync your files to the cloud and then access them remotely.

Aside from the hosting, this is FREE!!!!

Check it out:

http://owncloud.org/install/

2. Dave Rimmer

You could try Zoolz they are giving away 100GB Cloud Storage to new subscribers Free.

Besides Google drive,Skydrive,Dropbox,SugarSync ,you can also use Bitcasa.

4. Athul Jayaram

Switch on Windows 7 File Recovery from Control Panel ( search Windows 7 File Recovery)
    and set backup periodically to a particular partition say LOCAL DISK X

Download Windows Skydrive and set to automatically backup files from LOCAL DISK X

Thus you have a online as well as offline backup of your system

5. vipul varkar

Use http://www.crashplan.com/ for backup.There are two options as such:
    1 An external hard drive or second computer for local backup. You can either purchase an external hard drive to back up to or use CrashPlan to back up your files to another computer on your local network. When deciding capacity, go for 10 times the amount of data you want to back up. For example, if the size of your My Documents folder is 10GB, then look to purchase a 100GB hard drive. (If a drive the size you need isn't available, calculate the size of your home directory without space-hogging subdirectories, such as My Music, My Videos, and My Pictures. You have the option to reduce the number of copies you keep of those large files to save space.)
    2 A CrashPlan+ account for off-site backups. In addition to local backups, CrashPlan can also back up your files off-site to their servers (which they call CrashPlan Central). As of this writing, unlimited backup at CrashPlan costs $5 per month per computer, or $10 per month for a household of two to ten computers (if you pay for a year in advance). You can compare your CrashPlan options here. You don't strictly have to pay for CrashPlan+ (you can still back up off-site to a friend's computer), but I'd strongly recommend doing so for your off-site backups.

6. Lisa Santika Onggrid

If you don't have much data Dropbox and Sugarsync are tested and proven solution. I use them myself. Carbonite and Crashplan are worth the look too.

Using Gladinet, you can mount many of the cloud providers as a drive, then you can use ordinary backup software (I can recommend Cobian backup). Other possiblities include Wuala (an unusual type of cloud backup & sync). or LiveDrive, which is very competitively priced.

8. Uchitha Jayathissa

Use an online drive like Dropbox or Google Drive which provide you about 5 GB for Free and as you need you can extend. get the Dropbox/GDrive application for windows and install it. then connect with an account then Move your default data locations (MyDocuments,........) to the local folder of the Online drive. then It will Backup/Sync with the data automatically ... as extra you can sync from online to local also.

9. null

Easiest way would be buy a external hard drive and use windows scheduler to scheduled a automatic weekly update of important data.

To the upload part you can use any number of services to back up your data to or you can use Hotmail's skydrive or even Dropbox but with those you have a limited amount of space and you have to manually do the back up.

• Chris Marcoe

I agree with this...

Carbonite (seems to be highly rated) and myPCbackup back up all of your data to the cloud. No matter what type of cloud backup you choose, the initial backup will take a bit of time but once the initial backup is completed it will only be doing incremental backups (only the files that have changed). In most cases, they are not scheduled. Instead, after the initial backup has completed, it just monitors files for changes and backs them up at the next available opportunity.

I have seen another in the past that allows you to back up your files to a local device as wellas their cloud servers, but I can't find it right now.

If you want a local backup, you can always use the backup utility included in Windows or go with Paragon Backup & Recovery which is quite flexible.

• Chris Marcoe

If you don't want to buy an external HDD, then use Carbonite.

have you tried dropbox, sugarsync...

SugarSync 2.0 Sports New Look, Even Easier To Use [Giveaway]
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/sugarsync-2-0-sports-new-look-even-easier-to-use-giveaway/
    if you are lucky you can get free storage, just join the giveaway:)

Read This Before Choosing An Online Backup Provider
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/read-choosing-online-backup-provider/

SugarSync: The Most Well-Rounded Free File Backup & Syncing Service
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/sugarsync-wellrounded-free-file-backup-syncing-service/

• yudics

yes i like dropbox, just copy your file to dropbox folder, and when your computer connected to the internet, your files in dropbox folder will uploaded automatically.

• Lily

I have been using Wise Cleaner 365, it can backup my data completely and i never worry about the data loss!! It also can speed up my PC, I like it very much. You can try it!!
      Here is the link, you can install it and try it . PS: it's free!!!!

http://www.makeuseof.com/dir/wise-care-365-a-free-windows-app-to-optimize-system-performance/

Hi Lily, wise cleaner optimize windows by cleaning left over registry keys and junk files, it can backup registry but not files thats not full backup.
      http://www.wisecleaner.com/faq.html

• Lily

I HAVEN'T MET THE ISSUE YOU HAVE TOLE ,IT IS A FULL BACKUP ACTUALLY, I THINK IT IS EASY TO USE, IT CAN ALSO SCAN AND CLEAN MY PC AND MAKE MY PC RUN FASTER. THANK YOU