How can I assign different IP addresses to different machines on my network?
Question by Emily Sebastian /

Hi,

I have an Internet connection with a dynamic IP which is connected to a D-Link network switch. I have connected 6 computers from the switch.

Problem: I get same IP address on all the systems if I type “what is my ip” on Google.

Need: I want to assign different IP addresses to all my systems. I tried changing IP from network properties, but the problem continues.

I heard that subnet is a solution for this, but I have not found any good solutions online. Please help!

• Declan Vong

If you’re using the same modem and internet connection for all 6 computers, then all those computers will have the same internet IP address as seen by whatismyip.com.

To see the individual addresses of the computer WITHIN the local network, open CMD and type “ipconfig” – that’ll return (within the list of information) the IP address of the computer in the local network.

• Alan Wade

To see what IP addresses have been asigned by your router to each machine go to your routers installation page and you should find the list under ‘Attached Devices’.

• Sashritha Peiris

hen you type what’s my ip into google it displays your public IP. That is, the IP that other internet users in the world see your home network as. That IP is different from your router-assigned IP. That IP is one that your router gives a computer when it connects to the router. You can find out the individual router-assigned IP’s of your devices by 1. typing “whats my IP” into Google
    2. It should come up with a black line of text saying something like “Your public IP address is ***.***.***.*”
    3. Your IP will be bold numbers.
    4. Next copy and paste the bold numbers into your URL Bar or Address bar.
    5. Then it should come up with your routers config page.
    6. From here click on the links until you get to each individual computers info page.

By the way why do you ask this question? If it is something to do with setting up a sever I can provide more detailed info. If you are worried about a fault in your network do not worry, everything is working perfectly.

• Charles Yost

Make sure when you do assign IP addresses, that no two are the same because one of the machines will now work right when trying to connect the two. I have learned from experience when trying to mod and original Xbox.

• Jordyn Bushaw

Before you try to assign different IP addresses to your computers, go on each computer and hold the windows logo button and press r. Type in “cmd” without the quotation marks (“). Then type in ipconfig in the cmd window. It will give you a list of adapters, the one that will tell you the machine’s IP address should be labeled “Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection” if your computer is hooked up to your network using a Wireless LAN network adapter. If it is connected by an ethernet cable, or a wired connection, it will be labeled, “Ethernet adapter local area connection”. The machines IP address will be labeled, “IPv4 address”. If they are all different after you do this to each device, than it is not necessary to assign different IP addresses to each machine.

• Oron Joffe

Emily, to elaborate on Jan’s answer, your computers actually have Two IP addresses. As far as the internet is concerned, it only “sees” your router, and that is the IP address of all your computers. WITHIN the home, each machine is allocated a different PRIVATE IP ADDRESS by your router. The conversion between the two is done by a function called NAT (“Network Address Translation”) in the router. You can see the local addresses by bringing up the command line on each PC and typing IPCONFIG (followed by [Enter]). On most routers, the addresses start with 192.168 although there are also ranges starting with 10 and 224.
    This is how the system is meant to work, and the main reason is that there aren’t enough IP addresses available for all networked devices in the world. If there is a specific reason why your PCs must have separate addresses, you’ll need to ask your ISP to supply you with multiple static addresses, and this will cost you money and require some configuration of your router.

• Jim Chambers

If all 6 computers can access the internet at once, you must have a router using the IP address from your ISP that acts as a DHPC server and assigns a static internal IP address to each computer. To check in Win 7, click on Lan icon in task bar then Open Network and Sharing Center/ Local Area Connection/Details…. Note IPv4 Address.

• Saurav Azad

please refer the following document
    http://goo.gl/4wxG3

• Jan Fritsch

The IP-Adress you get on “what is my ip” is the public IP address of your modem, not the (internal) one assigned to each of your computers.

To have each computer with a public IP address you first need to order static public IP addresses of your service provider. Fees may apply and if it’s a private use product you most likely have to switch to a more expensive business plan.

Once that is done your service provider should be able to help you with the setup but in general the router/modem needs to be capable to assign or route those IP’s to your computers.