How can I ask MakeUseOf to get a review on certain things like apps or a website?

Kyem G July 26, 2013

I have seen MakeUseOf doing a good job in reviewing websites, apps, software, etc. since the past 4-5 years. The ‘Cool Website of the Day’ segment has made the online productivity much easier!

Recently, we have been developing a website (…) and I wanted MakeUseOf to review it as it is an edutainment, playable site. (…)

Also recently, I found two great open source or freeware video converters: xmedia recode and Dvd videosoft Free Studio and I searched MUO if any article was written on them, but no, there was none.

So again I wanted inform MakeUseOf about the software, but couldn’t get anyone to contact. And maybe in future, I may find out more.

So how to ask MakeUseOf to take a look on them?

1. Kyem G

Nice to get the replies from u all... :) .. Thank you.. Sometimes ago, I was trying to mail Tina, Saikat under the domain name of makeuseof.com (got them from the contact section) but every time I did, I got a sending failed message to my gmail...

2. Justin Pot

I can't speak for all authors here, but I like getting pitches on Twitter (@jhpot). I'm more likely to respond to a concise message there than a long email.

• Dave P

I'm with Justin on this one. If anyone reading this wants to pitch me a website to look at or idea for an article just send me a tweet @davepee.

Even if a website is too niche to warrant a full article it may make it into a round-up or Top 5 list.

• Tim Brookes

Add me to that list, I'll look at anything a reader will tweet me @timbrookes particularly Mac & iOS things! :)

• Kyem G

Dave P, this time I had a website on Bengali word games and so I wanted Saikat Basu to review it as he too is a Bengali and is from my city, Kolkata, India. But it seems our website didn't impress Saikat!! But I don't think our website is too niche.. N we are getting small but good response from the people. Hoping to get a facebook app too!!. Would have love to get some suggestions from Saikat..
      But Dave P, I'm a net savvy guy n I do come across many interesting sites whenever I surf.. And I'll surely tweet you if I come across some good website... Same with u Tim with iOS apps.. Well I want anyone of you to get a review on xmedia recode video converter and dvd video soft free studio... They are damn good.. And xmedia recode, a full fledged video converter whose file size is just 5mb

• Kyem G

Are all the people writing articles for MUO, works for MUO? Asking this question because I see many guys writing articles here whom I've not seen writing articles before!!

• Dave P

Kyem, Justin, TIm, and I all work for MakeUseOf. We have some new writers too, such as Justin Dennis and Matthew Hughes. Not everyone who writes on MakeUseOf Answers works for MUO though.

• Kyem G

Oh.. Got it.. No, I just wanted to know if only MUO employees can write articles or not.. So if every one who are writing articles are not MUO employee then even I can write my own articles and submit it to MUO. What say? If yes then can you let me know the procedure?

• Justin Pot

We don't do guest posts, no, but anyone who wants to can pitch me (the manuals editor) for a manual – though I usually only accept people with some writing experience they can point to.

3. Tina Sieber

We appreciate all the suggestions that come our way through the various channels. We do want to make that easier for our readers. Hence, a way for readers to submit article ideas or requests for reviews is on our To Do list, but it might not be realized for some time. Thank you for being engaged!

By the way, I forwarded your original question to Saikat. Unfortunately, the website you have developed is a bit niche, so we won't be able to review it. Sorry!

• Kyem G

Thats not a problem... We are developing.. And we have got more plans too...But we, the MUO members, come across many things while surfing the vast internet n we would like to share such that every one can get the benefits of useful things... MUO is a great channel... I'm here since the last 4-5 years n really its more than a learning experience in MUO...