How can I allow users to log in to any PC on a network using a single account?

Edward Hammond April 25, 2013

How do you add users to a network so you can log into the same account on any computer connected to the network. I remember when I was at school there were loads of the computers around the school and you could log into your account on any of them. You could also log into your account remoteley through the school website. How can you set this up.

The normal way to do this is to set up Active Directory on one or more servers, add the computers to the domain and set up the accounts on the domain. It's not particularly difficult, but you need to have Windows servers to begin with...

2. Donald S

Create a generic account without a password ex. username= user with no password set.

You would need to establish some sort of LDAP server on your network for this. Accounts would be created for each user on the server which would allow them to roam to other machines on the network using the same network account (instead of individual computer accounts). How you need to go about this depends on the types of machines on the network. For example, you could set up an Active Directory domain using Windows Server and be able to add any type of computer to the network (Windows, Mac, Linux). You could also use OpenLDAP which runs on Windows, Mac, Linux, and more. I haven't looked into the entire thing yet, but it looks like Samba 4 might fit the bill when it is completed, but Samba 3 should work right now. It runs on *nix machines. Macs do have native SMB support, so the client side at least is already there. Mac Servers also have LDAP capabilities built in, but I very rarely work with Macs, so a bit of research on the Apple website should provide any info you need on the topic.