How can I allow four people to use a single computer each with an individual screen and computer session?

Joseph Videtto December 10, 2012

Is it possible for 1 computer with 4 virtual machines to serve 4 different users with CRTs and keyboards, but no motherboards and CPUs? I guess you see what I’m getting at – can 4 users have their own sessions and separate CRTs for each, if only 1 Windows computer has been purchased ? If not via Windows, is there another way to let 4 users work off a single computer – say even with Linux or some other operating system? In other words, what is the cheapest way to give 4 people internet access and their own CRTs with browsers?

1. Rajnish Pati

Use Low Cost Thin Client device
    by using windows Server OS
    using RDP Services

if want more details send me mail

2. Yosef Maayan

Is there a verso of this that runs on a mac?

3. luis donis

SoftXpand is excellent is the better it works fine

4. Babylon78

Have you looked at nComputing?
    Something like this:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4271986

this is a 5 computer kit for $299 (+ your main computer of course)

• Joseph Videtto

...that's why I love this site - had no idea something like this existed. thx for the suggestion - have you or anyone you know tried it out ?

• Babylon78

I used it at my school district (i'm an admin), and though for really large groups, I wouldn't recommend it, I think it would be a great solution for home use.

(If you're really going to connect 5 users to it, with moderate use, I wouldn't skimp out on the PC that you're getting as the main hub), the better the PC you have, the better experience the end users will have when you connect the nComputing devices.

• Vishal Srivastava

Even I'm thankful for this reply. I didn't know something like this existed!!

5. Alan

i have 4 computers for 1 user :)

6. josemon maliakal

why don't you create different user accounts and assign them to different people.

• Joseph Videtto

how will that allow multiple users to use one computer at the same time ?

• Charles Yost

you would have to use softxpand to do that. I don't think the Windows OS lets more than one person to use the computer at the same time. I am pretty sure that is logs the other user out when you try to sign on. Not a very good idea if they are working on something important.

7. pp potana

Use softxpand and it supports two computers with one cpu

8. Giggity Goebbels

Use softxpand

• Hunbuhbhuygb Ygygbgybygb

Yeah softxpand is very good.though you can use windows multipoint server 2011 for this

• Douglas Mutay

Yes Softexpend seems to be a very good option. How much does the license for home user cost?

• Joseph Videtto

Have you or anyone you know done a cost analysis for a particular configuration ? I'd love to know how much money I can save via this approach vs. purchasing separate computers. Also - whether multiple users watching youtube videos or other bandwidth heavy internet apps would slow down the system excessively.

• Giggity Goebbels

The software is cheap,you need a graphics card that support 4 screens,or use multiple graphics card.then the software do the rest.of course you can also get extra computers,pentium or celeron builds nowadays with h61 chipset and intel hd graphics are 200+$.graphics card that are good is also around that price so yeah,but you will not need 4 graphics card for sure.so now its your decision.

• Giggity Goebbels

One more thing the 4 sessions are all sucking power from one computer,so if it is low end(eg i3) it is not very wise to use this.i think the best is to get another computer ,and each now run 2 screen.also the license for 2 screens are cheaper and the multi screens afaik is only for business(but it might be otherwise).if you get a new computer,a pentium g840 (dual core,sandy bridge,3mb L3 cache)will be enough for 2 stations (not for gaming,more simple tasks and online games will run fine,and since ram is cheap,each computer should have 8gb ram.i am not very familiar with video cards,so i cannot give any suggestions for that.

• dragonmouth

If you want to use OptiPlex 270's, forget it. Those computers do not have enough horsepower for one YouTube session, let alone 4 concurrent ones. There are many things you can do on the cheap but there also are many things that you have to spend money on.