How can I adjust the amount of bandwidth used for VoIP?

Hossam E July 23, 2013

I read before on some site that VoIP uses about 20 % of my connection and he written how to get it lower to increase browsing speed while am not using VoIP now I want to give about 60% to voip and i dont remember that site any know how ?

1. Kev Quirk

I'd recommend a QoS solution (Quality of Service). But most home routers don't really have QoS, and if they do it's usually pretty rubbish.

You read more about QoS on Wikipedia (link below), but basically is assigns a set amount of your bandwidth to certain technologies and ensures it gets at least this amount, but more if needed.

So, if you're want to ensure that VoIP always has at least 60% of your bandwidth then you would add and entry within your QoS settings to ensure that the VoIP service/port always get at least 60%, or X amount of Kbps (depending on your connection speed).

Having said that, 60% is an awful lot of Bandwidth to assign to VoIP. So this will mean that you will only ever have 40% of your bandwidth for other things like browsing the net. However, when VoIP isn't in use QoS would effectively be turned off so that you would have all of your bandwidth.

Before assigning an arbitrary number like 60% of your bandwidth for VoIP I would first run some network test to see exactly how much of your bandwidth VoIP uses. This will ensure that you're not wasting bandwidth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_of_service

It's true that VOIP will use some of your bandwidth, but unless you have a very slow internet connection, it is unlikely to be 20%. Normally it will use around 50kbps (video will increase this drastically).
    You may be able to throttle the connection using QoS on the router, or by using special applications, but bear in mind that the bandwidth is only used while you are actually using the connection (i.e. talking), so it's unlikely to be a big issue for you.
    All that said, I find that Skype uses quite a lot of computer resources (processor cycles and memory) even when there's no active connection, so I simply quit it when I don't need it. This may be the case for your VOIP package too, check it out!

Depending on your setup, you may be able to do this by changing the QoS settings in your router.

What VoIP solution or provider are you using? Depending on the software and hardware involved there are different options, ways or limitation to optimize the bandwidth usage.