How can I activate parental controls on an iPhone?

Khanh T July 10, 2013

I’ve equipped my child an iPhone. How can I track its usage and prevent him from access contents that he should not know.

1. Kayla H

Settings > General > Restrictions
    Enable the restrictions and then you can control quite a few functions from being able to access Safari all the way to controlling the Volume Limit

2. Samuel

There is not much point trying to protect him from the internet. He can probably figure out how to disable it anyway, but even so, you can't protect them from real life.

I'd recommend just telling him what he can and can't do, and trusting that he'll stick with it. As I said before, if he wants to access something on the internet, he will find a way of doing it anyway.

3. Tim Brookes

You can enable parental controls but I strongly recommend that you do not install "spy software" on the phone. This requires a jailbreak, which then makes the phone insecure and liable to potential malware. You also may get scammed by these companies who sell this so-called security software. We have already had companies trying to post spam links on this very question, I'm a moderator and I've just deleted one. I wrote an article about this, here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/the-dangers-of-iphone-spy-software-how-to-detect-it-ios/

To enable iPhone restrictions, go to Settings > General > Restrictions and here you can input a password (for enabling/disabling these settings, so don't forget it!) as well as choose to limit certain functions. These include things like the web browser, the ability to install or delete apps, use Siri, disable in-app purchases etc.

There are a lot of controls in this menu, though they won't allow you to MONITOR the phone, you can certainly make it more "child-safe". Do remember that you have given a child an iPhone, which is essentially a web-browser they can access at any time, so you should at least talk to them about what they should and should not be doing with it!

• DrJim

Tim

While what you are saying about 'spy software' requiring jailbreak is correct, the options recommended above (Mobicip and Kaspersky) are not 'spy software' that require jailbreak. They are legitimate and Apple-approved apps available on the App Store and do not require jailbreak at all.

For instance, Mobicip's Safe Browser is an alternate browser that kids can use in lieu of Safari. It allows parents configure filtering settings and monitor browsing (from the safe browser app) remotely on the website. It relies on the parent using the built-in Restrictions feature to turn off Safari and access to other browser apps.

See this tutorial for instructions:
      Mobicip Safe Browser With Parental Control
      http://content.mobicip.com/content/how-setup-parental-controls-iphone-ipod-touch

• Tim Brookes

Hi Jim,

That's all well and good and I meant no slight on Mobicip or other apps approved by Apple for sale in the App Store. I'm sure you are aware thought that there are far less reputable companies up to some fairly devious tactics in the name of "security".

I find it's always best to make readers aware of such jailbreak-dependent software before the spammers find their way onto this page. As a moderator and editor for Answers, we get inundated with links from these companies who try to dress up their jailbreak as a security feature.