How can I access college intranet files via the Internet?

Siddharth V August 14, 2013

I want to know how to access intranet files through the Internet. On Wikipedia it says that VPN can be used but I have tried HotSpot Shield and I still can’t open the intranet library site.

Please help!

Siddharth, Guy's advice is sound. There is no single, universal way for doing this, and the details depend on how the college implements its remote access policy (if it has one). Most colleges use a VPN, but its THEIR VPN - you can't just pick a VPN service at random and use it, but rather you need to know the college's VPN server address etc.

2. Guy M

Your best bet is to contact your school's IT department or possibly even the librarian. They are the ones that usually regulate access to the intranet from outside of the network. So, they can inform you on the policy. If they allow for VPN connections, they can also instruct you best on how to set that up.

Depending on the resources you are looking for, they may also have regular Internet or FTP access to them as well.

normally all College members are automatically signed up for VPN access. But they need to set up the VPN connection on their PC. While connected to VPN service everything will be routed via college network, In order to set up right you have to talk to the administrator.

ping internal DNS name and IP address when VPN connected

Microsoft Network Monitor 3.4
    Tool to allow capturing and protocol analysis of network traffic.

4. Jamie M

A VPN can be used, but it needs to be configured on the remote site in order for it to work. Furthermore, in order for the intranet to work, you will need to have access to either a DNS server to resolve these local names to the correct IP address or just use the IP address.

Does your college allow remote access to their intranet?

• Siddharth V

Thanks Jamie for your reply!

I didn't completely understand "remote access allowed by college to the intranet".

As far as I am concerned, my college has given me username & password for intranet access at computer labs/hostels & library (where I can bring my own laptop).

I want to know how to configure HotSpot Shield & all that settings. Also, it would be more helpful if you explain it in simple terms as I don't understand the technical terms like "remote site" & "DNS server".

• James B

You can't use hotspot shield. You need to ask the university what their designated remote access method is.