How can Explorer.exe be turned off by default?

Chanuka F July 19, 2013

I want to end Explorer.exe and keep it that way. Even when I restart my PC I don’t want it to start until I manually start it again. Can any one tell me how to do it?

Please clarify on what part of Explorer.exe you wish not to start? Explorer.exe is the entire basis to the operating system that you see and use (GUI). Except for some background running processes and startup items, you will have a black screen with a mouse cursor and no way to click on almost anything. One can invoke the Run command window and start explorer.exe through the Windows button+R and be able to bring the GUI desktop back.

Trying to stop a system executable is difficult, especially one of themain and important executable to Windows. Replacing explorer.exe with a third party version (highly not recommended) and changing registry items (not sure which ones) can cause the desktop not to display until you invoke it through the Run command window (i have done this by accident trying to get rid of junkware, toolbars, and their registry items).

As others have mentioned, why? Unless you have a very good reason to do so, it shouldn't be done.

2. Alan W

Errr have you thought this question through? I mean turn of Explorer.exe now and see what you can do or see......

If you have a specific reason then please do enlighten us otherwise its not a great idea.

Is there a particular reason you don't want to have a desktop on the machine?

well if you turn off Explorer.exe you sill see nothing on the desktop? You are locking yourself out of your system.??

To launch taskmanager and to create a new instance of Explorer.exe press Control+Shift+Escape to launch the task manager directly

there is a way to stop explorer starting with windows
    Prevent Windows Explorer from starting its a batch file.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/b44f3310-774d-48a4-ad8f-3ec54a7c08b9/prevent-windows-explorer-from-starting

you can try some startup manager applications
    http://startupmanager.org/