How can I be sure that my Hotmail account is not being accessed by someone else?

Ved Prakash Banga October 5, 2010

I am a pracitsing doctor. Patients contacting me through mail have their experience that often mail sent to me is read by someone else. I often change my password. It is more than 16 digits and a complicated one. Besides, I have McAfee total protection installed and KL-Detector. But my and my patients’ experience is still the same, their privacy is not being protected.

How I can check in my accounts setting of my mail account that someone has created a way to see mails or it is possible by some keyloggers to get all information. How can be I safe?

Ved,

what did you do about your Hotmail account? Did you switch to another account or did you manage to secure it?

2. Janet Schmidt

Use a non free email for important things. Like the one that your ISP provides you. Most give you more than one with your account (mine gives 10) so you can make one just for your patients. And make a good password, letters both upper and lower, numbers, symbols. Don't make your password anything anyone can easily guess.

3. Jessica Cam W.

As far as I know, Gmail is the only web-based mail service that offers the ability for you to check the IP address of where you (or someone else) last accessed your mail account. I'd suggest you switch to Gmail, because if you can, you'll be able to monitor who has access to your emails and determine whether your account is safe or if you need a new password, etc.You may also be interested in reading Are You Sure Your Email Isn't Being Hacked?

I would suggest using Gmail as well. Also it's important that you have Antivirus and up to date Windows.

How do you "experience" that mails are beeing read by someone else? Are there mails marked as already read which you haven't opened yet or is it just a "gut feeling"?

Besides that you should NEVER use email for ANY highly private or crucial patient data (unless you are setup with encryption and stuff)!

Email is like a Postcard of the digital age!
    It goes through various hands (Servers) before it reaches the recipient and unless you are using encryption it can be read on any of them in PLAIN TEXT. Sure, every admin is bound to rules which makes this illegal but there are always black sheeps.

5. Lewis

Try using your phone or another device to change your password and don't log on with your computer for a while. If it's OK then get your computer a new anti-virus