Why do I get horrible audio distortion in a screen recording?

Jack Kinsey February 23, 2012

When I record with ANY screen recorder (by which I mean all the ones I have tried; the list is quite extensive), after a few minutes the audio will go out for a few seconds and a HUGE blip of distortion will occur. As in, ear-deafening with headphones on. Everything will then continue as normal, though odd blips will continue to occur, though not nearly as loud.

I at first thought it was the screen recorder (I believe the first time it happened I was using Camstudio), but as I continued to try them, it continued to happen, and I was forced to conclude it was my computer.

I presently have Fraps (paid), and the same thing continues to happen. Some things I’ve thought of are the computer freaking out because it doesn’t have enough resources (though this seems rather unlikely), and the microphone sucking (though this doesn’t happen during voice calls).

Hello, it could also have something to do with the boost function.  From what you are saying this happens with any screen recording software, so the common factor there is your sound card whether it is integrated or not.  Check into settings for sound software and see if boost is enabled.  Try lowering the boost down a bit and then doing a screen recording.  If this does not work, try disabling any boost function either in the screen recording software or in your system sound. 

• Jack Kinsey

Thanks to you as well; I'll do as you said.

Hello, keep us posted

Are you using a internal or external mic?

• Jou

External crappy headset mic. However, I believe it has happened with the two headsets that I have possessed.

• Journcy

Name type fail, much. That's me posting. Me being the poster.

• Journcy

/facepalm

Ok, Have you noticed this anywhere else? Have you notice it while just recording audio? Has it always done this?

Also a good way to test if it is a performance issue is to use task manager while recording your screen and monitor any spikes. I don't think it is a performance issue, but this would rule it completely out.  

I am not sure what would cause that just during screen capture... Maybe a issue with the sound card driver? Maybe updating it would help.

I will give it some thought and see what other possible fixes I can come up with :)

• Jack Kinsey

I have not noticed this anywhere else, though I will try an extended audio recording. I remember it doing this for as long as I have attempted screen recording. Thanks for the suggestions; I'll try them and give feedback to your feedback.