What is the best home network setup to connect a Mac and a Windows laptop to the internet?

commang August 8, 2011

I am using a very old modem for internet service. I just bought a laptop and want to connect internet as well. What would be the best way to use internet for both computers. One is a Mac and the other is a Windows laptop. Should I buy a wireless router and let my internet service company know? I don’t know how a router works. Help.

Hello, best way is toget a router.  Good quality routers are becoming cheaper and cheaper everyday.  Usually, your ISP provider does not need to know that you have a router, because what the router does is work under the ip address given to you by your ISP.  The only things you have to make sure are, that both laptops belong to the same network and implement the security features of your router.   

2. AppleMan

1) Do you have high speed internet ?
    2) If no, call your ISP
    2) If yes, purchase a router.  Moden routers 802.11n are capable of providing both wired and wireless connections.  Routers are now commodities, so purchase by price !
    3) I would purchase a PC router rather than a Macintosh AirPort.
    4) Does your machintosh have an AirPort card installed.  If not, a wired connection would be the preferred way to go.
    5) If your laptop is a recent model, it will have WiFi preinstalled.

Is this enough to get you started, if not, what more information are you looking for that you can absorb at the moment.