How can I get a hold of a website owner?

sjana shelley August 21, 2011

I ordered something from a website that I now believe is a total scam. I have no way of contacting these people and I am afraid they are going to use my private information. I need someone’s help. I have done I know how to do and run into a dead end every time. Please help me.

If you used paypal, you can opena paypal claim against the seller and they will be forced to respond or risk their account being forzen. 

If you used a credit card, you should already have automatic purchase protection / anti-fraud as standard (with Visa you do anyway, I dont know about other cards) - so just give your CC company a call and explain the situation. They will be able to freeze the account as well as being the claim to get your money back. 

2. Osama

use http://www.infosniper.net to check where a website is hosted, type the name of website in the box on the website and click 'check' , then start your hunt.

3. AkashD

Contact your nearest consumer forum...

Hi Sjana,

Your first action should be damage control. If you're worried they will use your credit card (or other personal information) maliciously, contact your bank and tell them what's going on. They will usually allow you to "freeze" your account temporarily and dispute a purchase. If you're really concerned, I would simply have them drop your credit card and request a new one.

Next, search their website for contact information. If your search returns no results, one thing you can do is run a "whois" search on the website. If it comes to this, don't count on a response back. Unless the owner of the website explicitly requested (or purchased) a package to hide their identity, it will usually turn up results from their email address to home address. 

To see for myself, could you please post a link? Please append a warning that nobody should purchase from the website next to the link.