How can I correct auto-fill login password for Chrome-Gmail having mistakenly entered wrong info?

Anonymous September 10, 2013

I have been using the autofill (…) in the password field to login to my gmail account for over a year. Yesterday I accidentally typed in the password field. Now I can’t login because it won’t revert to the original (correct) password since it saved what I accidentially typed. Is there a way to revert to the last correct login that I used? It has been over a year since I manually entered the password and I don’t remember what it is. Thank you.

1. Justin P

Go to Chrome's settings. Click "Show Advanced Settings" at the bottom and you'll see the password options. You'll see a blue "Manage Saved Passwords" link; click it and you'll be able to individually delete saved passwords if you want.

2. Praveen K

Go to chrome settings and search for saved passwords. Edit the password you mistyped.

3. Joshua J

Clear your browser's data and enter the password again and allow google to remember it.

Yes, Jan's right (once again...). The only way is to reset your password and to enter the new password and let Chrome memorise it.

5. Del T

SOLVED. .. Kind of. .. Thank you so much for telling me about the NirSoft program. Even though I didn't retrieve the password (it displayed the gibberish I accidentally typed in the field) I successfully reset the password using the date data produced in the NirSoft report. One of the recovery test questions gmail asked was "when did I open the account", and NiroSoft displayed the correct month, day and year that I added the password to the system. Thank you so much for telling me about the program.

• Susendeep D

Kindly mark your question as resolved by choosing the best response which was most helpful to you.

6. Del T

I am not able to reset the password cause I don't have a recovery email. And I also created the account anonymously in haste and now I don't remember what info I used. I didn't think the account would be important at the time and now a year later I have important emails that I'm using for work.

Thanks again

7. Del T

Thank you for your response. I tried nirsoft but as you hinted it didn't revert to the last password that autofill logged in with previously. Nirsoft displayed the most recent characters that was typed. What was interesting however, was the date it displayed correlated to the correct date of when I created the gmail account last year.

Thanks again

As far as I know Chrome does not have any such 'revert' function for saved passwords. Maybe it can be found within the password file itself using e.g. NirSofts ChromePass viewer.
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/chromepass.html

My personal suggestion is to simply reset your password – it's good for security, you don't remember the old one anyway and it will (should) solve your problem.

• Del T

Thank you so much. Even though I didn't retrieve the password I successfully reset the password using the date data produced in the NirSoft report. One of the recovery test questions gmail asked was "when did I open the account", and NiroSoft displayed the correct month, day and year that I opened the account.

Thank you so much for telling me about the program.