Is it possible to highlight more than one word in a single Excel column?

David Fay October 24, 2012

Is it possible to highlight more than one word in a single Excel column? I can do one word using the conditional formatting option but it won’t let me do a second word i.e I want to highlight the “marketing” and also the word “sales” within this one column.

Thanks for your help!

perhaps to copy the Excel cells containing the text, and paste them into MS Word. use CTRL+F, Type the word you want to highlight in the "Find What" and "Replace What" fields. Click on the (More) button, and then the (Format) button. Select Font, and give the word the color you want to highlight with. Click on (Replace All).

When finished, select and copy the cells in word, and paste them back into Excel.

in excel use CTRL+F to do the same as above?

Apply conditional formatting to text
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGHaRrwT9sw
    http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/msoffice/how-to-use-excel-2010s-new-conditional-formatting-with-references/3727

2. Paul Pruitt

I spoke too fast. Chip Pearson's Row Liner Add-In apparently gives you a workaround by making it easy to paste highlight like transparent yellow or whatever highlight color boxes you like on top of your cells, or something to that effect: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/rowliner.htm.

BTW Chip Pearson is one of the premier practitioners of the art of Excel :-) i.e writer of useful procedure, macros and add-ins.

• David Fay

My bad -- Highlight is the wrong term. All I need to do is change the text color of two words throughout the worksheet so the words stick out. Although, the conditional formatting option calls it "highlight". I don't need to change the background of the cells that include the words. Many of the cells have a few words in them but I just want one of those words to stand out. Thanks.

3. Paul Pruitt

Apparently, you can change the color of individual letters or words but can't add highlighting to individual letters or words in a cell without highlighting the whole cell.

However there might be a workaround. You can have different fonts for individual letters or words. That means you can install fonts that has built in highlighting effect if you can find them and apply them as you choose.

I wasn't too successful finding such a font.

4. druv vb

Try this. Hold down "Ctrl", and click on the word or cells that you want to highlight. After that you can format your text as usual. Hope that helps.

• David Fay

I don't seem to be able to highlight more than one word on a worksheet using the ctrl key.

5. Anay Chaubal

highlight is a broad term, in case you want the words marketing and sales to appear different than other text, add another condition on the same column with a different format if you like.

• David Fay

Highlight is the wrong term. All I need to do is change the text color of two words throughout the worksheet so the words stick out. The conditional formatting option calls it "highlight"