Why am I seeing high CPU usage in Ubuntu when running Mozilla?

September 13, 2011

I have installed Ubuntu on my PC. From that time on I have been experiencing very high CPU usage. When running Mozilla (YouTube) my CPU usage is about 100%.

Any suggestions how to fix this?
Note: I am new in Ubuntu and noob in Linux.

Thank you!

1. Ivanke Pavlovic

thank you all for your comments.
    I ran the "sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get update". I received several fails for couple applications. but my biggest concern is, is it possible that I cant see the System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers option???

I am running Ubuntu 11.04 GNOME 2.32.1.

This is a common symptom of a conflict in Firefox addons. Can you remove plugins and addons you don't immediately need, then open up a terminal (Accessories -> Terminal).

Once the terminal is open we need to check for updates. Enter this command without quotes, then press enter:
    "sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get update"

Once it's finished go to System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers and make sure you have the "recommended" driver for your video card. If you don't, install it. Then restart and see if it's fixed.

Which Ubuntu version are you using?

Hanging in the wild my first suggestion is to run any and all updates of Ubuntu. If the problem still occurs you will have to identify what is causing the CPU usage. Look into some activity viewer, activity monitor or issue the "top" command ("sudo ps aux" will do too) within the console to identify the source.