How can I hide Facebook wall posts that were previously visible to networks or friends of friends?

inspirona April 2, 2011

I’m new to Facebook and when I started posting on my wall, I originally had wall posts by me visible to “Friends of Friends” and/or “Network”. Now I have made my wall so that only my Friends can see my wall posts. However, the previous wall posts STILL indicate that they are viewable by “Friends of Friends”/”Network”. I thought that if I made my wall visible only to Friends, it would affect previous posts as well. Is this true? If not, what can I do?

I cannot preview my profile to check if the content is still visible to “Friends of Friends”/”Network” but the privacy link on the individual posts when I hover over the “padlock” says they are STILL visible.

Please help me understand this because the Facebook help section seems to imply that the only way I can restrict access to my previous posts is by deleting the original and reposting them! That seems so silly–the posts will make no sense if I repost them!

1. how can i hide all my posts from certain people not my friends?

please help me block my posts from certain people on facbook not my friends?

2. dede

hello.... how can i block friends of a friends to see my pictures ...(notice: my pictures is on custom setting so only my friends can see it ) but when  my friends comments on my pictures ...i dont want their friends to see it .... so basically i only wants my friends to see my phone and not my friend's friends ....because it ll pop up on my friends profile when they comments on my photos ...help...n plz give instruction on how to do it

3. Ruru8321

hellp

4. Gun3

It doesnt answer my question but nice reply , my friends wall she said she posted something but i dont see it all i see is her recent activity ( answer question please ASAP!  )

• Jay.0

Not exactly sure about your situation,
      but when you see only recent activities on visiting a profile, it means, the status , photos etc are hidden from you because of her privacy settings.

5. Ewa Agnieszka Bartczak

This doesn't work for me. All my old posts are now visible to all networks and I hate it!

• Jay.0

I am not sure how does it apply to networks, but friends only should be visible to friends only if you applied the settings of past posts privacy.

6. Victroia

i'm looking for something else, but i can tell you about this question - all you do is go to you privacy setting on your profile and on below there is the 
    Limit the Audience for Past Posts
    Limit the audience for posts you shared with friends of friends or PublicWHERE YOU JUST HIT THIS:Manage Past Post VisibilityAND IT LIMITS ANY PUBLIC/F OF F POSTS TO YOUR FRIENDS ONLY (YOUR "ONLY YOU" VISIBLE POSTS ARE NOT CHANGED BY THIS OPTION, THEY REMAIN AS THEY ARE :)SORRY, IF I'M TOO LATE,CHEERS :) 

7. Triciahammen

I blocked some friends from seeing my profile, but can they still see my post on news feed?

No, they can't see your status, photos etc or updates about those posts on news feed/ticker if you chose not to show.

As your friends' news feed will show them only things which they are allowed to see.

(The problem discussed here was for public updates/activities only, which you can't hide from being displayed on news feeds of friends.)

• Katminnie

If I hide a friend so that I no longer see their updates on my wall, do they still see my updates on their wall?
        Thank you.

Yes, unless you block them or share your updates only with groups that this friend is not a member of.

8. Betty Yeh

With the recently new facebook changes, I have decided to take advantage of keeping my status update private from certain people I am friends with. I have made 2 lists for my current friends on facebook. 1 list is "not ok to share", the other list is "ok to share". I've changed the privacy settings so now whenever I post a status update, only people from list 2 can see. However, my past status updates before this setting change are still visible to all my friends. In order to exclude list 1 from seeing my past status updates, I have to go to each status update and change it to "ok to share". Here's my question, is there a menu setting I can go to make *all* my past status updates change to "ok to share" setting?

go to privacy settings : http://goo.gl/DaO6r

click Manage Past Post Visibility
      Limit the Audience for Past Posts

Now click on limit old post.

Done.

• Clinteastwood999

This only makes old posts visible to only friends. She's asking how you limit all those old posts to one specific group or in my case I want to know how you hide all your old posts from one specific person without having to click on every status update for the last year and hide it from that person. Help please!?

For both of you @28c01d2e7d8c344ca12ea441176aca51:disqus  and @twitter-66249622:disqus ,

Just add those persons to "Restricted list"
          That's all you need to do, after applying the setting in the image I attached.

When you will set past post to to "friends only ", the privacy of post will be:
          "friends only, except restricted" this is by default, and each of your post which is not public is hidden from this list by default.
          you don't need to maintain a list for hiding things anymore.
          Fb has created "Restricted" list for that purpose only.

• Betty Yeh

thanks Jay. even with the restricted list though, my wall still shows recent activities like what I've written on people's walls, etc (see image). How do I completely make it blank so people on my restricted list and the public will see absolutely nothing?

hover cursor to the right side of the activites of like , comments, amd wall posts
          Click on the x
          U wil see two options
          Hide this and
          Hide all.
          Then they will no longer appear,
          You r removing them bcoz they r public , and cant b invisible,
          Right now, i d0nt have pc.
          I wil check ur images, and wil post links or images of similar question later if u need more help.

• Betty Yeh

there's no option as "hide all" anymore. if I wanna get rid of them, I'd have to click on the "X" for each one.

i wil check it in some hours,
          I m in a movie right n0w.

first go to your profile and then remove a recent activity.  (not on the view as page in your image)
          read my comment here in detail, and also the image attached.and when you will click hide all , new activity will not appear, i a not sure about the past activity.there will be like three or four toye of activity, so you will have to do it for 3-4 times.
          hide commenthide befriending
          hide posting
          they woll still appear in the news feed, which is for limited time, and you cant do anything about it.
          but the activity on profile is permanent , and you have the option to remove them.  they will be no longer appear on  your profile. and you will not have to remove the action every time you do something public.
           http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/stop-facebook-automatically-sharing-updates-friends/#comment-356215546

• Jesusfreak

So people on your restricted list cant read your posts?

• Jay.0

Yes, they can only see what is open to public.
          posts with "Friends only" settings will not be visible to them.

typing mistake - correction :

and ask him/her to visit YOUR profile, then u will be sure abt this...

as he/she will be able to tell u abt the visibility of the wall.

• inspirona

Thanks so much again!

Yes exactly...the entire wall will not be visible to them...they will see "info" only but not "wall" above "info"

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?viewas=100000686899395

you have seen this b4 ! Frnds of frnds will also get the same view of ur profile like anybody else...both will be same cases..because u have set ur privacy settings to "fnds only"

I have tested this this thing senond time yesterday, the first time i did it when i had the same question :)

You can also test it with ur frnd !
    just remove a frnd 4m ur list who has mutual frnds with you...
    and ask him/her to visit her profile, and then u will be sure abt this...

hope now it's clear to u...

11. inspirona

Thanks for the reply but it doesn't answer my question at all. I am aware of Friends lists and use them.

I am talking about "Friends of Friends" and "Networks". I cannot ban "Friends of Friends"/"Networks" nor can I preview how my profile looks to "Friends of Friends"/"Networks".

My question: I had previously made certain wall posts visible to "Friends of Friends"/"Networks" and I now want them visible only to Friends...Facebook does not seem to allow this. Is this true?? Is there any way to get around it and make my previous wall posts private?

Thanks so much for any help!

Thanks for the feedback Inspirona! I added your question to the roundup of toughest questions to be published on Tuesday. That way it will get a little extra attention and hopefully you'll receive a good solution.

• inspirona

Thanks so much Tina! Hopefully our collective minds can ferret out a solution. I have faith.

once you set the privacy for a post...you cant chnge them...

but Dont worry Inspirona..You are safe...You have already hidden them...As you have set your privacy setting to
          "Frnds only"...

networks* and frnds of frnds WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SEE UR WALL...public or private...no wall..no posts....

so even if you had set some of ur wall post visible to "Everyone" still the case willl be the same...
          nobody other than than your frnds will be able to see your wall..only Info tab will be displayed.

(*I am not aware about netwrks but i know "frnds & ntwrks" and frnds only r different options.)

Now the sub question: testing privacy of frnds of frnds...

well dont worry, I have done it for you.
          I removed my best frnd temporarily to test this thing!
          You also can test it by
          a.creating another account,
          b.Removing ur best frnd temporarily :)
          c.asking your friend to ask their friend (who is not ur (frnd of frnd of on fb)) to login and visit ur profile

but the wall posts r still available in a particular situation when frnds of frnds can see them, I would not like to mention them, as it will be against you :)

I will suggest you to set
          "can comment on my posts" : to frnds only
          so, nobody other than your frnds can like or post comments :)
          and these situations are normally rare, unless ur mutual frnds r like me :D
          According to me, possibility is 1%.
          So enjoy u have a hidden wall.

• inspirona

Thanks so much Jay! I really appreciate that you did the test for me =)

I have set my wall posts and commenting privileges to friends only. If I understand you correctly, what you're saying is that this will hide my entire wall from networks AND friends of friends regardless of any post's original visibility?

Thanks again.

You can also test it with ur frnd !
          and ask him/her to visit your profile, and then u will be sure abt this...as he/she will be able to tell u abt the visibility of the wall. u can ask them to do this in your presence also..so u can see it.

hope now it's clear to u...

After recent changes in FaceBook Privacy Settings , a new feature has been added that will help users from displaying only a part of profile to selected group of friends and hiding it from others.

Friends List’ in FaceBook, will help users from sharing only a part of profile with certain group of friends.

To create a Friends List, just click on ‘Account’ Tab in Top Left Corner and select ‘Edit Friends’.

Click on ‘Create a List’ and set a name. Add a group of friends by clicking on ‘Add Multiple’. You can also get rid of existing ‘Friends List’ by selecting ‘Delete List’ link located at the bottom of the page.

To improve your Account Privacy Settings.

Just go to ‘Privacy Settings’ > ‘Customize Settings’. Click on ‘Customize’ and select ‘Specific People’.

Facebook does have a feature that allows you to test this out, in your Profile Privacy settings, where you changed your wall privacy options, you can type the name of a friend and see your profile as they would see it. This works great for testing, particularly if you are using Facebook groups to assign privacy levels differently for various people.