Is it possible to hide some Facebook friends from others?

Michael_Schumer April 26, 2012

Does anyone know if it is possible to hide some friends from others or create friend lists so that one list cannot see another? While I can understand this sounds dodgy, that really is not my intention. I am currently studying IT Networking Security.

1. Luigi

Yes you can.
    1) Choose which friend(s) you don't not want them to see some of your other friends.
    2) Go to those individual friends' wall, and where it says Friend (with a check mark), select Acquaintances.
    3) Now, from your wall, click the little window with your friends' thumbnails in it. Then, on the right top of your friends list, click Edit. It will give you the option "Who can see your friend list on your timeline" select "Friends except Acquaintances"

You can verify if those friends cannot see your friend list by using the option "View As" and then type in their names.

All done.

• Charles

Luigi, Your scenario doesn't work if I want a certain friend to see just some of our friends. I don't want to hide the entire list of friends. Any ideas?

2. Ibrahim Nadir

oops i was wrong. u can. u cant hide pages by the way. to hide groups here u go:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY8tpqh8BwY

3. Ibrahim Nadir

i think it depends on the group settngs. If the group is hidden, your friends wont see it on their ticker. Its not in ur control as i once tried it a lot.

4. aryan dsoza

how to hide certain friend from other friends from same profile or friend list on facebook

5. Aninco

i want to hide my pictures from my friends and delete all posted pictures of friends on my facebook

6. john cena

@julie fb can get the count sometimes in doing research on this for 8 months nw.. or two others may ve blocked ur name ... blocking.is an option everybody above forgot it....

• Luvie

@ John I'm having the same problem tells me this person who is *clears throat* my husband who has 61 friends but I can only see 48... Strange, not that I'm too concerned just little things have been weird he adds people then they disappear from his list...wonder what is going on...any thoughts?

• Carrie

There is an Edit option on friend's list where you can control who can see your full friends list. You can choose"only me" but mutual friends will still be visible.

7. julie

are you guys all sure this is impossible? my bf's list went from 34 to 36 but only shows 34. there are definitely 2 i am not seeing

• Marcel

I have seen that also. Why would that happen??

• tomash

because:
        1 - they blocked your profile
        2 - they disabled their own profile

• Ben

He has probably hidden his friends list from everyone. What happens though is if he has common friends with you, you will only see those and not the others

8. Rishi

there is an option in facebook, using which u can hide ur friend list from everybody on fb, but people can still know who ur friends are though ur wall posts, photos n mutual friend list.

9. Syd

That's what Google+ is for. I would look into that.

10. Michael_Schumer

As much as you could not know that I have ADHD and eloquate/respond a certain way, lets put this to rest and conclude that the function I inquired about, for whatever reason, may never exist and leave it at that. Have a relaxing weekend everyone and may the Schwarz be with you...

You can create friend lists to control multiple groups that can see your posts, but all of your friends can see all of your other friends.

• Michael_Schumer

Yeah i was afraid of that... i do know you can create lists... but would be nice if they could make a function that allowed you to choose what friends could other friends... oh well thanks

• Richard Carpenter

What is the point of social media if you are going to go to that point of hiding things?

Yeah your right, that does sound really dodgy.

• Michael_Schumer

While I am going to do my best to not give a rat's ass about your opinions or assumptions, seeing as how you don't know me or the situation to which I may or may not be referring, I cannot help but point out that I was simply, asking a technical question and have neither want nor need of your indirectly abusive and morally "superior" opinion... thank you

• mary

I agree with u michael, if u find out how let me know. there are a lots of different senarios and people think the worst. My area manager is on my coworkers friends list now and i would really like to keep my name off her list while hes on there

• mary

dont judge, my friend friended our area manager and I would really like to not be shown on her status. Thats a valid question.

• Richard Carpenter

As a supervisor, It drives me CRAZY when people do try to do this, tweak with there FB to avoid or hide things. I understand your point, but this that is not what FB is designed for.

Sorry I did jump and apologize. This site is for the curious and you are right. I had a bad experience from the reverse perspective, and has become a pet peeve of mine I guess.

Do not friend people if you are instinctively going to hide from...

12. Richard Carpenter

You can create different lists that will give options of friends who can see the post. In facebook when you go to post, to the left of the post button there is a dropdown menu that usually says Friends. At the bottom of that menu it will list what list you have, and give you a option to make a list.

If you have any questions, or if you need me to clarify, I a glad to help.

Also, Good Luck with your career in IT.

• Wally Webb

Richard Carpenter; If you remember "Zuck & Crew did not know what Facebook would be, or what it would evolve into. Whether you agree or not, I personally don't think it is done evolving yet. So, to your comment "but that is not what 'FB is designed for." I will ask you the same question I've asked many before. Why do you think it was designed for a certain purpose and does your idea of its 'designed purpose' mean eveyone has to use it in that/the same fashion. I, for one think that type of thinking goes against what "the internet was designed for". Being the free exchange of ideas, thoughts, information........ you get the idea.