How can I hide an account name on Windows XP login screen?

Dick March 15, 2010

With the fast account switching enabled, how can I hide the administrators account name (or any other specific name)? I have seen this implemented. Access to the hidden account name is by a double CTL-ALT-DEL. I’ve searched on google, windows knowledge base and here with no success, at least with the terms I’ve used, variations of the words in the title.

hen you add an account for certain users with Windows XP, their user names will appear on the Welcome Screen. Sometimes a user needs to be added to a Windows XP machine, because the user needs access (via the network) to resources on the machine, but the user will not be physically logging in on the computer. You can remove this user name from the Welcome Screen, while still maintaining the user account.

1. Start the Registry Editor
    2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Winlogon SpecialAccounts UserList
    3. Right-click an empty space in the right pane and select New > DWORD Value
    4. Name the new value exactly as the Username
    5. Leave the Value data as 0
    6. If you want to enable this user again on the Welcome Screen, either double-click the Username value, and change the Value data to 1, or delete the Username
    7. Close the registry editor

Karl,

Can this technique be applied to general users who login directly. In other words, can I hide say my own admin account from welcome screen using the above technique.

You sure can!

thanks!