Help me with my weird Wi-fi issue. Works great on Laptop but partial on mobile devices.

Vipul J December 13, 2013

Hi. I have a 1Mbps broadband connection with a Modem-Router device supplied by my provider.

Now I get download speeds up to 120-130KBps on my PC (connected via LAN), my laptop (via Wifi), my phone, the Galaxy S2 I9100 (via Wifi again) and my sister’s Galaxy S3 (Wifi as well). Video buffering at 360p on Youtube is fine as well on all these devices. I get smooth surfing speeds with normal loading pages on my PC & Lappy.

The problem is that surfing speed on my phone and that of my sister’s phone is extremely slow, be it the Facebook app, Tapatalk app, normal pages in the Stock Browser, Opera Mini, anything. Everything is slow as a snail. No background downloads, cloud backups or any network hogging resources run in the background.
Both phones are stock, unrooted, untouched, JB 4.1.2, so no ROM troubles.

Does anyone have an idea as to what the problem might be? Because it is really weird that download speeds are fine but surfing speeds suck so bad.

Already tested – Sitting right by the router, resetting it, even formatted my Galaxy S2, tried connecting only one device at a time keeping all others disconnected. Every thing yielded same results. Normal download but hell bent slow surfing speeds on the mobile devices.

I have had this exact same issue once before, but that stayed for a day or two and automatically resolved itself. But this time it’s been more than a week!

1. Gaurav

Thanks. The thinkdigit solution worked for me as well. The strange thing is that this issue started only after i got my modem replaced with the Binatone one. Thanks a lot.

2. Gaurav

Hi,

I have the exact same issue. The Wi-Fi works perfectly on my laptop but is terribly slow when using the smartphones and tablets.
    Were you able to resolve the issue?

3. Matthew

Ah! thought the auto thing was plainly obvious - actually with the bandwidth (11n settings) set down to 20, I'd expect auto to go for 11, as it's clear, but then, auto channel often seems to act in a most contrary way.

Does it look anything like this one? http://www.binatonetelecom.in/4port-adsl2-wifi-router1.html - though if it's an ISP customized version, Firmware would not be comparable.

If it does have an external antenna like that, is the connector screwed in tight, and how is the antenna pointing? - maximum signal is from the side, and minimum where the end is pointed, most commonly, you would set the antenna vertical. also trying to keep it away from metal objects that may block the signal, and other electronics that may generate close range interference.

NB. Inssider is good at showing wifi usage, it cannot tell you if something other than Wifi, such as a video sender, is causing interference - and while that should be the same for all devices, some are better at working through it than others.

4. Matthew

What I'd do...
    1. Change from 20/40 channel to just 20 - if you're sharing a low speed broadband, you don't need wide channel.

2. Unless you need to use WPA security for devices that cannot do WPA2, switch it to WPA2-PSK (and leave set to AES) - some devices may be better tuned for WPA2 mode.

3. You are set to b/g/n mode - if there is an option, try g/n

Finally, channels, ones I'd try would be:

Leave in 20/40 mode and set to channel 7 & below main (so you are fully co-channel, so that the two networks can carrier sense and defer. 7 and above, don't know if that would be better or worse.

Finally, set down to 20Mhz only and channel 11 will put you clear (or just a skim overlap) - probably the best option.

PS. You have also revealed your wireless key, may be an idea to change it!

• Vipul J

1. Changed
      2. Changed
      3. Changed
      Still the area where I can change channels is grayed out. And I'd change my key once I at least get it working lol

Did all this, still this weirdo works great on my laptop but works like a dial up on the phones!

• Vipul J

Oh my god, I've crossed every line of stupidity. Just changed the channel to 11.
      I was looking at this
      http://i.imgur.com/1PRVzFh.png
      and I assumed that I can change channels only where 1 is written and the drop down where Auto is written is a sub-channel something. Just selected 11 on it and now my current channel is 11.

I'll try it now at different times of the day to make sure if it worked, and report back. Thanks!

change wifi channel to optimize signal?

• Vipul J

I'm sorry but you'll have to walk me through it. I'm the dimmest mind when it comes to networking.
      How do I do this?

1) Open the web browser on your computer
      2) In the address bar, type in the address of your router and hit "Enter." if you dont know your router address
      start-->run-->then type cmd, right click and choose run as administrator
      on the black screen type: ipconfig/all
      check your IP address for Linksys is usually 192.168.1.1 so on your browser you type: http://192.168.1.1
      3) Install inSSider
      4) go for the 2.4 GHz , and then click the Start Scanning button, you will get bunch of connections with channels with some names from your neighbors (note their channel)
      5) On your router page go to wireless and choose a free one different than theirs
      6) If things do not get fast with you, roll back to your previous channel.

• Vipul J

Hi. Thanks for that elaboration.
      I followed the above steps. And there are some channels minorly overlapping my signal, but I cannot change my channel. See the screenshots below!

http://i.imgur.com/1PRVzFh.png

http://i.imgur.com/ZMAoNat.png

i dont have your router how about going to advanced setup and wireless section

• Vipul J

This is all there is in Advanced Setup.

http://i.imgur.com/nUvA4GM.jpg

• Dalsan M

Under the Interface Setup tab of your router's settings page is the Channel settings. Click on "Auto", and then select "Manual." You should then be able to change the channel to another number, such as 9 or 11.

I would also check to see if there is a setting for quality of service (QoS). If there is, turn off this feature to see if it helps.

• Vipul J

Dalsan, QoS is deactivated. And a screen shot of the Interface Setup is above. The option to opt a manual channel is greyed out.

try to upgrade router firmware

• Vipul J

There isn't an auto-update check. It's asking for a manual firmware upload. Should I try to do it because it's a router provided by my ISP and hence if I mess it up, I get no refunds! Also it's a Binatone DM 856W Modem+Router. I can't even find stuff for it!
      Anything else I can try?

well firmware upgrade should not cause problems, unless there is a bug so better to download to the desktop two firmware versions the current and the latest one. Now any concern with your ISP better to call them for info.

maybe if you can switch the channel bandwidth then you can change wifi channel. With 40Mhz (20/40) channels enabled on 2.4Ghz, you should have more channel choices like 1-8 or channels 4-11. If you want to use a smaller range of channels (fchannels 1-3 - "channel 1", or channels 4-8 - "channel 6") then you use 20Mhz (20MHz channels in 2.4GHz) mode. When you router is set to auto select a channel it will switch channels if it detects interference, Or your Wi-Fi client device only works well at one end of the band.

5 Ways To Fix Slow 802.11n Speed
      http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics/30664-5-ways-to-fix-slow-80211n-speed

What is 802.11n "Greenfield" mode?
      http://searchcio.techtarget.com.au/news/2240101850/What-is-80211n-Greenfield-mode

• Vipul J

Being a local brand Binatone DM 856W, couldn't find it firmware anywhere.
      Switched channel to 11 and the frequency to 20Mhz only. Will try again now!
      Thanks!

Just a thought - have you tried rebooting the router?

• Vipul J

Yes. Rebooting resetting, everything. Multiple times in fact. No use.