Why am I hearing this strange noise when I try to turn on my PC?

Walid January 17, 2012

After turning on my UPS, I hear a strange noise from my PC. The noise resembles old TV noise. All this happens and the PC is still turned off. When this sound exists the PC does not turn on. After some minutes the sound disappears and computer turns on normally.

Could this be an issue with the power supply or motherboard?

I think you mean PSU, right? A UPS is an uninterruptible power supply, used to keep the power on during blackouts. If you do actually mean UPS, I apologise - try it without the UPS and see if you get the same sound. It's likely an electrical problem with the UPS in that case, rather than the computer. 

If you dont mean UPS, it sounds like your PSU is dying. It's quite a common problem. Do you have a spare PSU to test it? It could also be a faulty component inside the PC, but diagnosing that is a long process. Unfortunately, if you dont have a spare PSU to try it out, you'll need to get a technician to have a look at it for you and diagnose the problem. 

Whatever you do, don't try to open up the PSU and fix it yourself. Those things carry hundreds of volts of charge long after they are unplugged, and a faulty one is especially dangerous. 

Hello, what happens when you connect computer directly to power outlet?  To check if this is the source, make sure to disconnect UPS unit from electrical outlet and connect computer to electrical outlet.  If you feel comfortable with opening your tower, you could try unplugging cables to components one by one.  Maybe you could find a culprit component causing this.  I would try running withoug connecting to UPS first though.

One thing that can cause this is the speakers and the wiring for the speakers.  The wires might be  picking up  electrical noise from another
    device such as a UPS unit.  This happens if speaker's wiring or speakers are close to UPS unit.  You could try either, moving the speakers/wires away from the UPS, or moving the UPS itself away from speakers/wiring.