Have you heard of Project Cider that allows iOS apps to run on Android?

Rajaa C May 14, 2014

Has anyone out here heard about Project Cider, by 6 PHD students of Columbia University Computer Science Department, which enables iOS apps to run on Android devices?

1. Tim B

Yes, I have and it's certainly an interesting development, though I'm sure Apple will hit the roof when it finally goes public. They used to ban Apple IDs just for jailbreaking, so imagine what they'll do to accounts they think are being used on non-Apple hardware. 

As far as I'm aware, it's an application compatibility layer, like WINE – rather than an emulator, like BlueStacks. What this means is that the applications run natively, which does wonders for speed, but as anyone who has ever tried to use WINE will tell you it's also a game of luck as to whether everything will work properly. Much of the time things don't quite work as they should, and random crashes occur fairly commonly.

There's also the issue of various dependencies within the OS, so for games the use of Game Centre, and other core components (Tweeting a link, composing a Message) which will probably cause problems when called upon.

It is interesting, I doubt whether it'll ever be reliable or dependable, and I can see Cupertino having kittens over it. Here's a video that I found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uaple0Ec1Dg

While it works, it lags like hell.