Why can’t I hear my music?

Patricia Bonaccolta May 23, 2011

I have an older Dell 8120, with a woofer and speakers. Never had problems with sound from TV episodes to Windows Media Player. Recently added an ion turntable, and everything went well, sound all over. Now, silence. Everything seems to be hooked up securely. What to do?

first : connect an external speaker..if it doesn't work..it will make sure the problem is not with hardware.
    second : restore your laptop to an resstore point before you created the turntable. with system restore.

2. Patricia Bonaccolta

Thank you all for your advice!  Clearly, I'm haven't earned the title of even "baby geek" yet, but I'm getting there.  When I got to "Test Sound," (I have sounds 1,2,3 tabs) each at the bottom says it's working, but still no test sounds.  I went back to retest Sound 1, and saw that after the test, in the bottom box, was:Direct Sound Results: Failure at step 19 (User verification of software) HRRESULT=0x00000000 (error code).  Went back and clicked OK on all correct devices, and restarted my computer.  Still no sound.  How do I verify the software?  And how did it become unverified one day?  Thanks again, much appreciation.  I'm searching Microsoft as well for an answer, but would rather hear the steps from you guys. :)

Hello, Did you have to install any software for the turntable?  If you did, try uninstalling that software and test for sound.   

You can try to update the Audio driver, Chipset Driver and Video Driver at the link below.  Make sure it is the right model and just change the operating system.  I am not sure what your operating system is.  I would bet it is XP but...I might be wrong.  Go into your device manager and uninstall the current sound driver.  Once the current driver is uninstalled, try to install the driver you downloaded from the link provided.   If you are unable to install the downloaded driver, you can use the original drivers provided for you on a disk when you got the computer. 
      http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&ServiceTag=&SystemID=INS_PNT_P3CT_8100&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

Do you have onboard audio or do you have a sound card?  If you have a sound card, it is better if you disable the onboard sound and set the sound card as your default.

Also, have you checked if there is any sound when you connect headphones? 

zero : check if the turn table opr any other application has zero volume or not.

Right-click on the speaker icon in the system tray and select "Playback devices."  Make sure the default device is what you expect it to be (probably "Speakers").  If it isn't, select the proper device and click on the "Set Default" button.

4. ali

hey its just simple try to install your drivers again!!!

Hello, first troubleshooting step should be to do use the command shown below.  There is no info about your operating system but these steps should work with xp, vista and windows 7:

-- click on start
    -- click on run
    -- type dxdiag
    -- click ok
    -- on the menu of box that shows
    -- select sound and make sure that your speakers are on
    -- Click on Test DirecSound
    -- if everything is ok you should hear sound on your speakers
    -- next on menu select music
    -- click on Test DirectMusic
    -- check the results
    -- next make sure that all your equipment is connected and on menu click on input
    -- check to see if there is any problems showing on the bottom box

Also you might want to check your device manager, specially your sound card whether it is onboard sound or a separate hardware card.
    -- click on windows key + Pause/Break key
    -- click on Hardware
    -- click on device manager
    -- expand the sound, video, and game controllers
    -- check to see if there is any problems showing there.  If there is problems it would should a question mark, it could be yellow, etc.