Is it health damaging to work with laptop laid on legs?

yossi June 10, 2011

I often work with my laptop laid on my knees. Someone told me that laptop’s radiation may cause damage to my health. Is that so?

1. Jecdav

My balls itch

• ladha ukewake

That may be caused by some other social activity.

well if you work for 8 hours and if the underneath laptop temp goes to 125°C! but can cause permanent skin darkening. In very rare cases, it can cause damage leading to skin cancers, said the Swiss researchers, Drs. Andreas Arnold and Peter Itin from University Hospital Basel. In the past, "toasted skin syndrome" has occurred in workers whose jobs require being close to a heat source, including bakers and glass blowers.

Laptops may damage male fertility
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/4078895.stm

Heat From Laptops Can Cause Erythema ab igne
    http://www.epinions.com/content_5008040068

A study by a European governmental agency concluded that “there is no consistent evidence to date that exposure to RF signals from Wi-Fi and WLANs adversely affect the health of the general population. The frequencies used are broadly the same as those from other RF applications such as FM radio, TV and mobile phones.” 

Radiation filters are available for all types of computer monitors, and they work well to protect you from radiation.

• Yoss

very interesting. I guess I'll use a cushion beneath the laptop.
      Thanks !

• Rodrigo

Please, don't do that! Placing a laptop on any kind of soft surface will block its ventilation holes, making it overheat and shortening its lifespan.

However, if you really need to use the laptop on your lap, I would advise you to search and buy a cooling pad. They're not too expensive, will isolate you from the heat, and also will help keeping your computer temperatures low.

3. Zerosystem00

Wow... Seriously?...

Hello, it might be possible but I would have to research more.  What I can tell you though, is that laptops are not designed to be placed on your legs....They are designed to work on flat surfaces.  The reason for this is that if you notice, most laptops have the cooling fans on the bottom side of the laptop.  So that means that when you place them on your legs you can be obstructing the ventilation on your laptop and therefore it might overheat.  Besides you might get a toasty feeling when it overheats. 

• Yoss

Thanks,
      If the fan is at the bottom then when it is laid on my legs there is more air then when on table.
      It doesn't get too hot because it is on battery that has to be charged after 30 minutes. When on table, connected to power, it gets much hotter. Anyway i was asking about radiation.
      Thanks anyway.

Not from radiation, no. Computers dont give off enough radiation to be harmful, and neither do phones for that matter.

If you're a guy though, the heat can be damaging to your fertility if youre laptop runs hot. 

• Yossihorev

What's between fertility and my knees ? I do not watch xxx movies' i learn programming and i dont see connection to fertility. My laptop doesn't get hot because it works on battery that needs to be charged after 30 minutes (which is another trouble).
      Thanks anyway

Hardly seems any point in answering you if you’re just going to DISAGREE.Laptops do not give off harmful levels of radiation, period.