How can I use an HDTV TV as monitor for my computer?

James April 13, 2010

I recently bought a Vizeo Razor (Model#: VM190XVT) HDTV. I then decided I wanted to use it as my monitor. I used S-video and the picture was not satisfactory. I then bought a DVI to DVI cable. An adapter to connect it through the VGA connector through the TV. I don’t get a picture and the TV says no signal.
I am using the right input and the cable is connected correctly. First things I checked. My computer, an HP pavilion a6110n with a 9800 Geforce graphics card, recognizes it’s there. I am using two monitors so I can see that. I am able to set the resolution and etc. The TV says it is not getting a picture.
Data is getting through because my computer recognizes it’s there so it’s not the cables. The S-video connection works. I have no idea what it could be.

So my real question is:
What is the reason for why there is no signal and how can I get a picture.
If you have any additional questions that could help email me.

1. Raj Singh

hi my computer is not sending data to my tv by hdmi cable

Raj,

you have better chances for receiving an answer when you post this as a new question. Please also provide more information about the specific problem you're having. Thank you.

The cable worked. I have exeactly what I want. I think the signal was not going through the adapter correctly. Thanks

hey James

Glad you finally worked it out. Thanks for letting us know.

Aibek

The new cable this time a dvi to hdmi should be here in 3 days.

let us know how it goes

4. James

Yes. I change it to the right intput. I borrowed a vga cable from somebody. That worked. I think it might be the cable or something with that connection. I have a dvi cable connected through an adapter. I am going to buy a dvi to hdmi cable and see if that works. Thanks for the response.

Hey James,

Let us know how it goes after you try with the new cable. If it doesn't
      help we can post this question on MUO homepage and see if other users
      recommend something else.

James, when connecting to the HDTV via DVI cable do you change the video source on your TV? Everytime I connect my laptop to HDTV I need to change the source of the video from AV to HDMI (I use HDMI cable).

6. James

I have still been fedling around with it and it is sending a signal. I was able to veiw the second desktop with teemviewer. I was accessing my computer and it said second monitor. The tv still says no signal. Just an update.