Has anyone had it up to here with Windows and updates with problems to the extent they have changed to Apple and if so what are the pitfalls?

Alan Trinder June 8, 2013

Frankly the ability of Windows to fall apart is getting just too much for me. For no known reason, Windows updates now repeat the same update all the time every day there is no stopping it. Spent hours going the Microsoft solutions but to no avail. Getting to the state where Windows will be an ex operating system for me and considering Apple despite the huge expense. Anyone done this and are there any pitfalls?

1. Alan Trinder

I have ticked the best question twice Tina, but I am getting answers still and it is showing as not resolved.

2. Alan Trinder

My thanks to all that responded to this. I seem for some time at least, I have, with the help of all, solved the update problem. Why I should have to do so is a different matter!
    I am going to close this one now so once again many thanks to all.

• Tina Sieber

Thanks for the feedback, Alan!

To close the question please pick a best answer.

3. George Abdilla

I switched to mac June, and no i shall never go back to windows. I need Mac for photography (www.georgeabdilla.com). as to expend, early this year i replaced the whole computer system at work, and a 21 inch new iMac costs at most 200 euros over a fully fledged PC, with same software installed. The new Windows 8 is even ore of a nightmare than windows 7.. and i am so happy i managed to get a Mac for work as well.

4. Sam

See, Windows fans will write about windows, and apple fans will do that about mac.
    But trust me, mac is as crap as windows, infact even more as you pay more. I've used both, simultaneously. Mac doesn't hang a lot, as it doesn't have much to do it on. Windows, no doubt has much more capability of things, so its liable for some programming errors.
    Mac is all about more swifter and smoother graphics, nothing else. Productivity is as low as zero. Apart from few games, photo/video editing software, internet surfing, and such other similar tasks, you'll have to bang your head on a mac.

See things in a wider way. On windows, atleast the support is great, infact huge. YOU CAN FIX ERRORS. On mac, you can do a little, as it has a little. And after all, it all depends upon your work preference and use.

5. Nat

My wife (then girlfriend) switched from MSWindows to OS X, including buying a brand-new laptop. She's relatively computer savvy, and has to use Windows at work on a daily basis--and she's still more comfortable with it than I am. Nonetheless, despite using Windows for her whole life up to that point, she still found switching easy, for the most part, and has never looked back.

Also, Macs aren't generally more expensive than comparable Windows computers--it's just that the vast majority of Windows computers sold are lower specced than most Macs. Furthermore, numerous studies have shown that the total cost of ownership for Macs is the same or lower (even when the purchase price is higher), precisely because of the issues posed in this question.

As examples, my wife's laptop is 4 years old, and has never needed any repairs, re-installs, or other downtime. My Mac Pro is 5 years old, and the only downtime it has ever had was for installing RAM or replacing a harddrive.

6. Jim

I ran MS Windows from the late 80's until March 2010 when I purchased a 'white' macbook. After 3 months in OSX I sold all 3 of my Windows PCs. I still run Windows 7 via boot camp about once a week.

I've been very happy in OS X. I've looked at and have been 'kinda' impressed with Windows 8, but not enough to move.

Some argue that Apple computers are 'more expensive'. If you sell & replace hardware every 1~2 years Apples high value-hold makes them very inexpensive.

One last advantage if you live near an Apple store. It's very cool to walk in with a (scheduled) Genius appointment and walk out with a SOLUTION, not 'it's a hardware' software folks reply (and vice-versa). Had a problem with a Mac Server a few years ago; 10 minutes with a Genius and problem was resolved.

Apple produces best bang-for-buck if your time is valuable.

Enjoy your new Apple computer :)

7. robert john

I do not automatically update windows, I wait for service packs and then update it. Like someone said if it keeps updating uninstall the specific update and try again.

I do not see the point in switching to a Mac because it is too expensive, restrictive and good free software is limited. Rather, switch to a linux distro. Linux today are more user-friendly,easier to install, morre compatible (hardware), and you can even find distros that have similar interface to windows. The amount of free software is huge i doubt you wouldn't find the linux equivalent of the apps you use on windows. Even so you can install wine to emulate/run windows software on linux.

• Nat

OS X is also a POSIX-compliant OS. This means that most software that works on Linux also works on OS X. For open-source software (most of the free stuff), if you're computer savvy you can just recompile it yourself. And if you're not, there is often already a Mac version of the better and more popular free software. That includes WINE. I have much of the best "Linux" software installed on my Mac Pro at home, sometimes because it's the best solution, sometimes just to try it out.

8. Bryan Price

I've had this too, an update evidently installs, but keeps wanting to be installed again and again, despite it saying that it installed correctly.

I have my system to ask me before it installs updates. When it asks to install updates, click on the link to show what updates it wants to update. Right click on the update and select Hide this update. You'll never hear about it again.

9. Jean Chicoine

Should you move from Windows to Apple because of Windows updates problems? Well, I see three reasonable answers to that:
    1) Try the solutions proposed by Paul Prakash J, ha14 and Jan Fritsch. That should do the trick.
    2) Move to Apple, making sure that you apply the advices given by Leland Whitlock. Be aware, thought, that you are jumping from one proprietary system to another one.
    3) Do like Bruce Epper and dragonmouth and switch to a Linux based system, preferably Mint or Ubuntu.
    Personally I made the switch from Windows to Linux 5 years ago and never looked back. My working station is the Ubuntu 12.04. It is supported for 5 years and it keeps doing the job like a well oiled machine. No hiccups, no problems, no worries.
    You can try Mint and Ubuntu live cds on Windows without any change to your setup. The live cds worked from the memory. They never touch the HD where your Windows is sitting and it gives you an idea of what these operating systems are about. You can then decide to install or not, either by erasing Windows (after backing up all your personal stuff) or on dual boot, which gives you the choice of firing up either system, Windows or Linux, at boot time.
    Here, a few links to the Linux world:
    http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
    http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop
    http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linux-mint-olivia-cinnamon.html

10. Jan Fritsch

if the update continously offered is successfully installed then it may be a problem on Microsoft Updates end ~ they had this before and fixed it after about 2 days.

If the update failed to installed it is natural that it is being offered again. Usually there will be an error number which together with the update name (KB number) will give you a fair hint as to where the error is.

Jumping to another system is probably not the proper solution since the fault has to come from "somewhere" and can happen on any system.

If an major (delta/combo) OS X or Security Update fails to install you can consider yourself happy if the system boots up again at all.

• Alan Trinder

Many thanks Jan, I do have a feeling this may be the case as I have seen quite a few people stating exactly the same problem on the Microsoft support areas.

11. Jim Townsend

I am a AC user. I have to use a PC at work from time to time. I don't know how PC users put up with it. My Mac is far more stable and intuitive for use. Divide the extra cost into how many times you have hassles with windows and it's retry clear Mac is the way to to.just my opinion, bu.....you asked....

12. Avinash Pereira

I had similar problems with windows a few years back during the time of vista and just like you are i was planing to switch to apple but before i did I chose to try something called ubuntu(linux distrubution) and i haven't looked back since.

I can offer you several reasons to try it but i'll reduce them to 5
    1) Its free and you wouldn't have to buy new hardware, works out of the box on most and if you encounter any issue theres reason 2
    2) The community, the linux community is full of helpful people giving good advice, i had an issue with my amd drives when i first installed ubuntu and it was solved in less than 12 hrs.
    3) Its virus free
    4)it has many flavours for you to choose from ubuntu, opensuse, linux mint, elementary os( kind of a os x clone), fedora are some popular ones and you can test all these without actually installing them.
    5) A huge variety of free software to choose and also theres wine which make windows software run on linux (although not all).

Note: If you are going to make the jump i would jot down all the important software you use everyday and see if either theres an alternate or if it works through wine.

Note 2: I currently use Elementary OS luna right now and even if is the beta 2 release it works just as good as a final release.

13. null

Whilst the initial cost between a pc and a Mac can seem huge, broken down in terms of software added and purchased, the Mac isn't as expensive when compared to a pc running windows. But then again it depends what you use either for, but in the end analysis you don't need windows as most windows functions for the average user can be easily found in the Linux OS, I'd recommend 'Ubuntu', which is easy to change to, use and add to, and never lets you down.

If you're a serious graphics user, the Mac wins hands down on very count when matched against a pc running windows. Downloads from the app store are a doddle and whilst it's easy to download far too many apps you'll never use, they are very easy to get rid of. For filmmaking, producing music, graphic design, editing photographs, Mac is superb, add in an ecosystem that easily switches between Apple products, then windows falls flat on its face.

No, I'm not an Apple fanboy, but I'm someone who needs a machine that works for me and the Mac does all the things I need it to do. I moved from using Windows in 2010 to a mac mini and have never regretted that decision, my netbook has Ubuntu, and now with a large Box(.com) account I'll never return to windows. One of the biggest hassles i had with windows was defragging, something that I now never have to do and which mac and ubuntu do automatically now with every download.

Depending on your own particular needs, change to either Mac or Ubuntu, you'll be so much happier, get far less stressed out, and become far more productive.

14. null

A lot depends on the individual user. Switching to a Mac takes a bit of flexibility and willingness to learn how to do things in a different way. Some people can do this without much difficulty and others will be tearing their hair out because the way they're used to doing things doesn't exist or doesn't work.

I had no trouble at all learning how to use a Mac, but then I've used a lot of different operating systems from punch cards on a mainframe through CP/M, Commodore, DOS and Windows. But I know people who would go berserk because of the differences between Macs and PCs (at least one of those people, I firmly discouraged from buying Windows 8, too).

• Harshit J

Why discourage buying Windows 8 PCs when you can simply disable the stuff you don't want with a free software you can download easily and enjoy a much faster and responsive version of windows 7 and you can also run Metro apps directly in Windows if you use the Modern Mix app. Though, I would not buy it as I upgraded from XP to 8 and I am perfectly accustomed to the new UI.

15. dragonmouth

I gave up on Windows a long time ago. However, instead of going from one proprietary universe to another (Windows to Apple), I switched to Linux. Linux will run on any hardware Windows runs on and, unless you are a gamer or require esoteric software, Linux is a very good replacement for Windows. And the price is right - FREE. 99.99% of Linux software is free of charge.

• Radu

I wouldn't venture as far as to call the entire Adobe Suite "esoteric software". For us working in design, Linux, while a solid operating system and software ecosystem, simply isn't an option. Not as long as Adobe keeps ignoring the Linux platform altogether.

• Pooky Joralyn

Ubuntu never recognizes Intel 855GME on my old ThinkPad.

• dragonmouth

@Radu:
      "I wouldn’t venture as far as to call the entire Adobe Suite “esoteric software”."
      If it is not used by the mythical "average user", it is esoteric. I guess you would know whether the Linux replacement for Adobe Suite is usable. Are you sure there is no "comfort" bias involved in your statement? Long time users of MS Office and PhotoShop swear that those two products are head an shoulders above LibreOffice and GIMP.

@Pooky Joralyn:
      "Ubuntu never recognizes Intel 855GME on my old ThinkPad."
      Ubuntu is not the be all and end all of Linux, no matter how popular it is. Have you tried a Slackware, Gentoo, RedHat or Mandrake/Mandriva based distro? One of them may recognize that m/b. Distrowatch lists over 300 active distributions in their database. Of course half of them are Ubuntu-based. :-)

I notice that you say "old ThinkPad". I take that to mean that you no longer use it which means the problem of Ubuntu not recognizing it no longer exists.

go to windows update and check which one is the failed update, then uninstall it and reboot.

go to here
    System Update Readiness Tool fixes Windows Update errors in Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows Server 2008
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821
    download the package for your system, install it and reboot.
    then use windows update to scan for available updates and try to install the updates.

Are the updates being repeatedly offered because it fails to install automatically or did they install properly and are still being offered? If the second, you can disable those specific updates from appearing again. If the former, have you tried to manually install the affected updates?

I have not switched to Mac, but most of my machines are now running either LinuxMint or Debian. I have one machine that is still running XP because I have an old version of Adobe CS running on it. I have another with Win7 Ultimate that is used for development and as a Windows-based DAW. It will soon be reconfigured to dual-boot with UbuntuStudio for DAW work. My primary dual-boots LinuxMint for normal usage and Win7 Ultimate for gaming. I have been much happier with the reduction in Microsoft software, but my decision hinges primarily on their abyssmal support and piss-poor design decisions in their newer software (Windows 8, the ribbon showing up all over the place, the hideous appearance of Office 2013, and taking even more control away from the owner of the computer regarding what the computer is even doing at any given time).

18. Leland Whitlock

While I myself have not I have helped quite a few users at my company make the transition in the last two years. First you need to plan on replacing some of your software like Microsoft Office or any other specific software you use. I would start by making a list of your most used to least used software; include all software whether commercial or freeware. Next for the obscure stuff you can't get for Mac you can use Parallels or something similar. Parallels is nice because it allows you to run Windows apps just like Mac apps without the need for a full virtual machine. See the links below for some articles that will help with the transition. Good luck.

http://www.addictivetips.com/mac-os/basics-to-know-before-moving-from-a-windows-pc-to-an-apple-mac/

http://www.myfirstmac.com/a-survivors-story-file-and-printer-sharing-with-mac-os-x-and-windows-7.html

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/windows-7-on-a-mac-my-boot-camp-survival-guide/3446

• Alan Trinder

Many thanks for your most helpful answer to me, this pc is 3years + old now so I will be looking at something new soon.

• null

Actually office works on OSX too.

• Leland Whitlock

I would suggest the Windows version of Office rather than Mac in case you do not like it. With Outlook you can plug in you data files and go. If you use the Mac version and decide to go back later you will have to buy a third party tool to convert the Mac files. Outlook for Mac can convert the PST into it's data file but no way to go back. I just helped a friend find a thrid party tool to go back recently which is why I mention this.

19. Paul Prakash J

I assume you are using Windows7. You can always disable the automatic windows update by going into Control Panel -> Windows Update -> Change Settings.........this will fix the recurring automatic updates.

I never heard of anyone shifting to Mac for Windows update problem.

• Alan Trinder

I assume, Paul, that then all future windows updates are lost including security and important ones outdating my copy of windows pretty soon?

• Paul Prakash J

Yes you are correct. This will stop any important security updates too. Does the recurring problem happen for any set of updates or is it happening for all/most of the updates. You may try the solution in the following link. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941729

• Alan Trinder

Thanks Paul
      This is happening for 2 specific updates;
      Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB2600217) and;
      Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB2656351)

The Microsoft support forums have other users with the same problem.

• Paul Prakash J

One of the person having similar problem reported that he uninstalled every update related to .Net by going to "Programs and Features-> Installed Updates" from both Client Profile and Extended. Then reboot the system and install any updates the system got.
      This has fixed the problem for him. Maybe you can try that too.

• Roberto V.

I had so many issues with Windows i deemed it impossible to attempt a constructive reconciliation. i still use it( as a back up PC) , but i am learning and loving Mac. The ease of use and it's more complex, but astonishingly fluid. It's like the difference between a High School Diploma and a College degree.