What hardware specs do you recommend for a custom-built Hackintosh?
Question by Luke Blache-Fraser /

I want to build a custom Intel based desktop PC and possibly set it up to run Mac OS X. What hardware specs are recommended to do this? Most likely I will be running Photoshop CS3 and other photo and video editing software.

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , ; or ask your own question.

• Giggity Goebbels

Processor i will get a xeon e3-1230v2.it is just a cheap i7.mobo,h77 chipset in compatible lists will do.but i recommend z77.also the best thing you could put in for speed is an ssd.intels ones are more reliable so i recommend that.

• Jeremiah Iliffe

go to the official hackintosh website and see the builds there

• Declan Lopez

the hackintosh website should give you all the information you need.

http://hackintosh.com/

• Alex Perkins

I would say something like:
    Quad core I5 CPU
    8GB RAM
    560TI or 660TI
    Decent 800W PSU
    Asus P8P67 Motherboard
    and a case of your choosing

• Eike H

Its been getting easier and easier as they use more mainstream parts. Most of the links have already been posted, I should however, from personal experience say that you should pay attention to version and revision numbers as they can sometimes mess with the install. Im using windows instead of OSX on my ‘hackintosh’ because I got the wrong mother board (rev. 1.) But maybe mine is a special case.

• Rob Berry

I would check on TonyMac X86 forums and look around for motherboard DSDT’s, Best to go with popular hardware choices or follow hardware you can currently find in mac’s like ATI graphics cards e.t.c

• Luke Blache-Fraser

Thanks for the great info guys. Can’t wait to get this build started. I’ll definitely need a good graphics card and lots of power for editing.

While building a hackintosh,make it similar to the specs of iMac as it has all good hardware needed for you work especially mobile AMD HD 6970 graphics chip.Make sure to take a SSD for faster read/write speed.Others you can get 8-12 GB RAM,Intel core i5 or i7 processor,a good 27′ IPS monitor.

• steven …

Make sure every parts that you pick supports hackintosh, you can use this site as a reference in picking.
    http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/search/label/CustoMac
    You might want to pick a decent video card, since you will be dealing with photo and video editing