What hardware specs do you recommend for a custom gaming PC?

Michael Maulbeck September 2, 2010

So I have a crappy single core PC and I want to “pimp” it. I am looking at putting in a NVidia GeForce 9500 GT 1024MB GDDR2 PCIe 2.0 x16 Graphics Card, and a Pentium® Dual-Core Processor E5300. I already have 1.9 GB of RAM and was wondering if that is enough on it’s own. I am looking to be able to play all current games (and future ones), and I do not really care if they run on max settings. Thanks!

1. ukohara

well my frd i live in india so i dont have any idea abt how u'll manage the stuff i am going to suggest...but anyway its ur decision so here it is

make use of also have an e book regarding building a gamin pc.. check the download section.
    http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/build-a-gaming-pc

apart from this u gotta keep in mind some things so that u are also able to use ur pc for gaming in the next 4-5 years.

there are several companies offering inbuilt graphics cards like hp, acer, hitachi, to name a few. but the main thing u should look apart from purchasing a graphic card that will it be fully usable with ur other system or not. try to use x86 platform based operating system in case u have x64 bit then upgrade ur windows version coz the bit represents the ability to process the amount of data. u can compare it like a bottle neck. the smaller the passage of a bottle neck it data amount processed will be smaller if we increase the size of neck situation will improve.

the other advantage is that x84 drivers are digitally signed and they dont crash during gameplays or other graphic related operations.

they also utilizes ur RAM upto its full potential. for eg if u uses a x64 bit system and u r using 4 gb RAM then this system when pushed to its full potential will use only 1.9 gb of RAM on the other hand x84 bit system will use ur 4gb RAM up to its full capacity whatever size of memeory the manufacturer is offering. so u are not running short of RAM in big size games who demands high amount of ram and also game doesn't slows down.
    now to check ur system made here is the link

http://techblissonline.com/32-bit-64-bit-windows-7/

apart from this u also need to make sure that what is the size of processor memeory catch. it is also a RAM.In computer science, a cache (pronounced /?kæ?/ kash) is a component that improves performance by transparently storing data such that future requests for that data can be served faster. The data that is stored within a cache might be values that have been computed earlier or duplicates of original values that are stored elsewhere. If requested data is contained in the cache (cache hit), this request can be served by simply reading the cache, which is comparably faster. Otherwise (cache miss), the data has to be recomputed or fetched from its original storage location, which is comparably slower. Hence, the more requests can be served from the cache the better the overall system performance is.

in simple words Cache memory is random access memory (RAM) that a computer microprocessor can access more quickly than it can access regular RAM.
    TO KNOW ALL ABOUT IT HERE IS THE LINK
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cache

SO if the catch size is big u can speed up ur pc and it wont slow down during important operations.

SO INSTALLING A GRAPHIC CARD IS NOT ENOUGH. U ALSO NEED TO CHECK OTHER PERAMETERS AS WELL.

i hope it will help u.

by the way, My budget is 200 dollars total for the upgrade, and I am running windows 7