Can the hardware parts of a phone be upgraded?

Dr.Sunil Vaswani March 26, 2012

Is it possible to upgrade hardware parts – processor and random access memory even if the manufacturer disagree to do it on it’s own?

My phone runs slow though it’s features are very advanced ( OS , camera , flash , 3G , gps , wifi , tethering , dual sim )

Who, other than the manufacturer can be approached?

1. markus ylikotila

By the way what mobile phones out there come with up to date flash player and full web browsing capabilities along with the ability to upload files and download files strait off the internet.

2. markus ylikotila

Some older phones such older Nokia smartphones and Imate Mobiles/pda's actually have the capability to have parts replaced which allows for hardware upgrades as well as software upgrades, the problem just comes with finding manufacturers that don't just sell standard version parts for the phone, these sorts of phones are useful as the don't have intergrated batteries so it's easy swap them with something much more powerful , as phones with internal batteries don't come with the best out there, I have two phones a piece of sh#t Nokia lumia 800 that's been faulty since I bought it(had two replacements then gave up) it's battery is only around 1300mah whilst my other phone a Nokia n70 which in many ways is better than my lumia, I use a 2000mah battery I bought on eBay for $11 au from Hong Kong, it lasts for days even when constantly used, whilst the lumia under constant use lasts at max 8 hrs.

3. Nick Shvelidze

Buying a new phone is easier.
    There is no way upgrading CPU/GPU but RAM can be upgraded on some devices.
    I recommend overclocking and using SWAP (on Android). 

• Goodysunny

Random Access Memory , as you mentioned , can be upgraded with or without soldering?

well the phone is all in one system if you add something that is not supported by the system then no more phone you have.

• Goodysunny

Like Pcs , mobiles can also be analogously upgraded in random access memory

possibly can but it is risky unless you master the phone.
        HTC Universal memory upgrade – 128MBhttp://pockethacks.com/tag/bga-ram-upgrade-solder/

• Goodysunny

I read the link which you have mentioned

5. Indronil Mondal

No you cant as long as the manufacturer allows you to do so

• Goodysunny

The question as posted is not for manufacturer-aided upgrade

6. M.S. Smith

Sorry, but it can't be done.

Phones tend to use highly integrated hardware. Many components end up on the system-on-a-chip. As the name implies, its a bunch of things on the same hardware die, so they can't be changed or replaced. 

RAM and flash memory is often left on its own, but it is soldered on, so it also cannot be replaced. 

The only thing that you can really due to upgrade your phone is insert a more spacious SD card.

• Goodysunny

I understand

Is there an alternative way to upgrade the random access memory space and processor speed?

• Matt.Smith

If you root an Android device you can overclock the processor. That's the only viable option I can think of.

• Goodysunny

I understand

What about batteries? Can they be put of higher strength without disturbing the original equilibrium of the phone?

• Nick Shvelidze

Not spacious, but faster