Why did my hard-drive shrivel up and shrink when I converted it to FAT32?

Matthew Corr December 30, 2011

Hey guys,

I have a 250GB external hard drive that was in NTFS, and since the Playstation 3 only reads FAT32, I decided to convert it so that I could watch movies on my TV through the Playstation. Usually people need to format their hard drive to do this, but in my hurry, I found “Aomei NTFS to FAT32 converter” (the free edition with limited functionality).

I used it to convert my 250GB hard drive into FAT32 and now my hard drive has shrunk to only 8GB! Which is far less than all the music/movies I have on it, and means that I can’t access anything on there. It also means that when I try to convert it back to how it was (either through the Aomei program or through command prompt by typing “convert g: /fs:ntfs” the operation fails because there is – apparently – not enough space, on my massive 250GB hard drive.

Sorry about the rambling explanation, and any help at all would be awesome and appreciated for ever and ever lol I dont want to lose all my music :(

Matt

Hello, What is your operating system?  I would go back to basics...the only downfall with it is that you'll loose the contents in your hard drive.  Have you checked disk properties to see if that is all the space available or if it is showing the rest of space as used?  Chances are, if it is only showing 8 GB you already lost the contents.  Mind you, you could try an recover it......

The advantage of using convert command is that you do not loose contents of disk.  As far as I know, once you use the convert command to convert a disk, it is final.  IF you are using vista/windows 7 you could use disk management to reformat your drive or just use the format option when you right click in your disk. 

If you are using windows XP, I am afraid that disk management from XP, is not as advanced as compared with vista/windows 7.  If you can not format your disk with windows tools, use gparted.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php

From where I sit, the best thing for you to do, is to reformat the drive and start from scratch.  You also have the option of visiting drive's manufacturer and see if you can get the formatting tool for your brand.

right the hard drive, select properties, then selct tools then 
    At the Check Disk menu, click both options (to “Automatically fix file system errors” and “Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors”).
    after that defrag hard drive

try easus partition master