Why does my hard drive space decrease when I delete files?
Question by palsuresh /

Whenever I uninstall any program, the size of the drive increases. If I delete a file on my C drive, the total size of C increases by the same amount as what I deleted instead of decreasing. I’ve deleted the files from my recycle bin too, but the problem still persists.

at the command prompt. Type the following command without the quotes and press enter: “chkdsk /r”
    after that: sfc / scannow

also defrag hard dive

use hddscan to run S.M.A.R.T. test and check hard drive health statut

Hello, if you delete a file of course the free space will increase if it is a file big enough to show a difference.  If it is a small file, it doesn’t show as decreasing or increasing because of the size.  If you install a file, the free space should decrease.  Usually, free space is visualized on white……used space is visualized in green.  Can you explain a little bit more on why you have come to the conclusion that when deleting a file, used space increases?

I’m not sure what or where you are watching.

By default the Windows explorer visualizes the amount of free space in which case it is perfectly fine that it is increasing whenever you delete something.