How can I get my hard drive to be reconized at boot and by Windows 7 installation?

kyle May 22, 2011

OK I have a problem. When I turn on my computer and let it run normally, the dell screen pops up and then it pops up saying insert bootable device and restart your computer.

The only way for me to get to Windows is to press ESC to get into BIOS and just click exit saving settings and then it will boot into Windows XP normally.

When trying to install any operating system it cannot find my hard drive. I cannot repair it either because the repair disk doesn’t recognize the hard drive either. Please help!

Hello, when that happens again, go into BIOS as usual and make sure to check the date and time.  Make sure to save your settings and let the computer finish booting up.  Try restarting computer and see if it happens again.  You should definitely change the cmos battery. 

It sounds like your CMOS battery is dead so the configuration data that the computer uses to determine the geometry of your hard disk and the current date and time (among other things) is lost between sessions.  If this information is not correct, attempting to install any operating system will almost surely fail unless you go into the BIOS where it will normally auto-detect any hard drives and optical drives and save the settings again before attempting to install the OS.  Changing the CMOS battery should make it so the computer will "remember" this information between bootups.  If this fixes the BIOS issue but not the OS install problem, there may be other issues involved with the drive itself.  I don't think this will be the case since it will let you boot XP after resetting the HDD info in BIOS.

Post back here letting us know if this worked for you or not.